Ikibon eggplant (spelled wrong)

Judsonia, AR(Zone 7b)

Anybody know anything of these, I would like to try them looking for seeds, but can't find them, cause I keep spelling it wrong lOL any help would be appreciated.

kathy_ann

Efland, NC(Zone 7a)

kathy...one of my most favorite eggplants! Love em!

Spelled "Ichiban"...a favorite of many of my Oriental customers (and myself!).

I'll check my sources and try to remember to post back here so you can get seed. (These are great sliced lengthwise, slathered in olivie oil/garlic, a pinch of salt (not much!) and pepper, and thrown on the grill! Yummy!!!

Judsonia, AR(Zone 7b)

thanks horseshoe

Judsonia, AR(Zone 7b)

thanks horseshoe
do you think, that they would grow well in the greenhouse this winter if I find some

Efland, NC(Zone 7a)

Pinetree Seeds has them http://www.superseeds.com/vege-l.htm

If you can grow tomatoes in your winter ghouse you should be able to grow eggplant. I imagine supplemental light may be needed but perhaps only an extra few hrs daily (not sure how much daylight ya'll get in Texas in the winter).

I grew another variety this past year called Machiaw, which is much more skinny and longer than Ichiban but had a crop failure so can't really give a good critique on it. It seems to be similar to the PINGTUNG LONG that is also mentioned on the above link. Check it out if you'd like to try a couple varieties.

Augusta, GA(Zone 8a)

Ichiban means #1 in Japanese. Very popular and most vegetable seed companies carry it. You might want to look through the plants data base for eggplant.

Judsonia, AR(Zone 7b)

I found some on ebay as usual, if all else fails check there. LOL

thanks

kathy

Carmel, NY(Zone 6b)

You should have no problem growing these in your greenhouse. I grow them in my sunroom and they do fine.

Judsonia, AR(Zone 7b)

That's wonderful to know, thanks

kathy

Efland, NC(Zone 7a)

kathyann...know your source. Echiban is a hybrid seed. If the person on Ebay is selling seeds they saved from their previous harvest there is a good chance the seed they offer is no good. Hybrid seed is usually either sterile or will revert back to one (or more) of the parent stock and will in no way resemble what you are expecting.

I'd go with a reputable seed company if I were you.

Judsonia, AR(Zone 7b)

jeese, it's a little late now LOL, Il'l have to email them and ask them, I don't think this person saves their seed though, I think they buy in bulk. I'll be depressed if I bought them for nothing, but didn't spend a whole lot, will ask them though, thanks for the information.

kathy

Efland, NC(Zone 7a)

okay...crossing my fingers here. Go for it!

Judsonia, AR(Zone 7b)

well, I emailed them last night, they havent emailed me back yet. I'm hoping for the best, will let you know when I hear from them what they say

kathy

i'll be sorely disappointed, I 'm thinking of going ahed and getting some from a reputable seed dealer too. know of any

Everson, WA(Zone 8a)

Kathy shoe gave you a link eariler in his post look up and click on for pinetree seeds

Judsonia, AR(Zone 7b)

sorry, moment of old age there,

kathy

Carmel, NY(Zone 6b)

I can send you a dozen seeds to get you started if you like!

Judsonia, AR(Zone 7b)

I just ordered some from the link above, along with quite a few other things I really need LOL

thanks anyway

kathy

Carmel, NY(Zone 6b)

Hee, hee! REALLY needed...? (I'm afraid to even go onto yet another seed site! I've become WAY to addicted. Between Gurneys, TomatoFest and Seeds of Change seems there's a charge on my credit card EVERY month.

Good luck and happy growing!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.