difficult vine ID without flowers

Brooklyn, NY(Zone 7b)

well it's difficult for me to identify this vine without some flowering to go by.. there were a number of things I'd plannted in the spring in a flat.. all with metal tags.. then I dropped them watering one day early on.. I scooped the dirt back into the plants and have been desciding what's growing .. and I'm often wrong when I see it flower ..I'd identified a clitorea the other day only after I saw the sky blue flower.. a butterfly pea..
anyway this vine is a good grower now it's sprouted real late by the way.. looks a bit like a mamosa tree in leaf formation.. I guess it's about 4' or so long now.. I'd had a bunch of it.. gave some away thinking it was something else and I have a few stands growing.. but have no iead as to what it is... I'll post a few photos of it growing in a couple of places... I've got so much of it..I know I must have planted it..

Thumbnail by GordonHawk
Brooklyn, NY(Zone 7b)

here it is growing in another area of the garden.. doing great now that it is up also... but I can't remember all of the things I planted it might be.. I've got to move it in sometime I imagine.. just to see it flower.. thanks for the help here.. Gordon

Thumbnail by GordonHawk
(Taylor) Plano, TX(Zone 8a)

Abrus precatorius? "Precatory vine"?-(red seed with black eye-poisonous seeds-just one eaten will kill you!-pretty pink pea cluster flowers)

At least that is what I think it might be. That is what mine looks like...still hasn't bloomed for me and it is getting really late...
-seedpicker_TX

Bushland, TX(Zone 6a)

Hmm,guessing here,how about cassia?

Taylor, TX(Zone 8b)

looks like some kind of mimosa to me.

Spring Valley, CA(Zone 10a)

Does it have thorns on it? If it does, it might be Caesalpinia decapetala, which is a very rampant, thorny vine.

-Ron-

Well, Gordonhawk?
...anything ringing a bell? Any matches, yet?
-seedpicker_TX

Brooklyn, NY(Zone 7b)

Well .. it doesn't have any thornes ... yet anyway... and the vines are maybe 6' long... but still no flowering at all...
Seed picker... I can't recall planting any such distinctive seeds as thoes .. but it does for the world look like that plant { Abrus precatorius } ..although I am wishing for oneof the Caesalpinia as RWhiz suggested.. great looking plant there .. as the foilage seems identical on both counts.. and it does have a rampant feel to the way it is growing... I had so many of them I can't believe they are volunteeers for whe wind or some in some soil I've brought in from the outside... Guess I'll have to bring one in and awaite it's timeto bloom..
OH SEEDPICKER... HAPPY BIRTHDAY... a bit late ... on the 2 nd right ... Mine also.. although I elected not to include it in my profile... to stop ID theft.. ha ha ha so... How many birthdays have you had so far there... is there still hope for me... guess there's something about 10-2 that makes one a plantahollic.. the stars perhaps.. oh a picture for SP 's birthday...OH TEXAS PINK BRUGMANSIA..
HAPPY Birthdaty SP
thanks all for the effort... Gordon

Thumbnail by GordonHawk

Thank you very much!
And, Happy (belated) Birthday, to you, too!
...to answer your question...(er, uh...37 so far...I had a tough time with this one...first time a birthday was not looked forward to!) lol...

-seedpickr_TX

Jackson, SC(Zone 8a)

some type of clitoria vine. i have one thats similar but the flowers are really small pink pea type flowers. mine i would have to get reall close to take flower pics. mine came up out of no where with my morning glory vines.

North Vancouver, BC(Zone 8a)

It's definitely of the Leguminosae family(Pea), don't you think? I'm jumpin' in here! E........................what about a Wisteria of some sort? just a suggestion?

This message was edited Oct 5, 2004 12:19 PM

Needville, TX(Zone 9a)

Is it Abrus precatorius?....

Bay City, MI(Zone 6a)

i vote some kind of cassia

I am not aware of a cassia that is a VINE?
Would love to learn of one...
-seedpicker_TX

Panhandle, FL(Zone 8a)

It looks like a cassia that hasn't branched yet.

You know...I was just stuck on VINE...

Gordon- Maybe it isn't a vine...THAT opens a whole different scope of plants!
I thought it was a vine because you said so, but upon closer inspection, the second picture does show more of a bush/tree style plant.
Maybe in your mix-up of seedlings, the vines also got mixed up with the bushes and trees?
-seedpicker_TX

ps-
you said that you originally made metal tags for everything, but then they got dropped...
Do you stil have the tags????
Why don't you gather your metal tags, and compile a list of the plants that you had tags for, and let us help you pick from that list!
-seedpicker_TX

Moab, UT(Zone 6b)

I _thought it looked like what folks here call a golden rain tree but you said vine.

I went out took a pic brught it in an compared, the tree in my neighborhood /which does spread easily from seed/ anyway it has pointy ended leaves and dosen't match except in structure.

This message was edited Oct 5, 2004 8:16 PM

Vancleave, MS(Zone 8b)

How about Rosary Pea vine??? Here is a pic of mine. Pam said it up above. Abrus precatorius

This message was edited Oct 5, 2004 9:42 PM

Thumbnail by DonnaB
Bay City, MI(Zone 6a)

i think that could be it!!!!!!! very pretty!

Brooklyn, NY(Zone 7b)

OH SeedPicker.. yes I did have tags.. got millions of them out of a venetian blind I found.. but I've tossed them as they sprouted.. I thought I'd tried to cross check them aganst what had come up.. that's why I thought it was a clitorea.. and then I had the clitorea Blue sky vine sprout out and bloom.. so then I was looking for a name for this additional bunch of plants..
ImZadi... yes that's about how I discovered mine.. I'd a flat with some morning glorys and mixed up the dirt in all of the planters and then I got this..
hope I don't have to wate too long for flowers..
I'll drag it out from the planter and look into the bush/vine controversy.. maybe it will be an election descider..
Gordon

North Vancouver, BC(Zone 8a)

This message was edited Oct 6, 2004 9:00 AM

Brooklyn, NY(Zone 7b)

OH Roselaine..
it must have been a doozey if the edited it out.. why not share it directly with me.. must have been a bit too political.. and you're in Canada to boot.. oh welll... Gordon

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.