Mount St. Helens

Gordonville, TX(Zone 7b)

There has been a "steam explosion" its on the tube as we speak!

Long Beach, CA(Zone 10b)

Wow!!! Its on CNN right now but I cannot get any of the internet sites to work- they must be overloaded like crazy.
http://vulcan.wr.usgs.gov/Volcanoes/Cascades/CurrentActivity/current_updates.html

Gordonville, TX(Zone 7b)

Mt. Spurr near Anchorage has been acting up as well!

http://www.avo.alaska.edu/avo4/atlas/volc/spurr/spurr2004/

Willamette Valley-OS, OR(Zone 8a)

Yes...She's a Blown!
A Small Eruption.
Oh Sorry...They're Call it an Explosion!
It Blew to 10,000 Feet.
at 12:03pm.
It Lasted til About 12:20pm Minutes.
What an Incredible Sight the Billowing Steam and Ash.
All of the Local Stations are Going Crazy with Excitement.

And Now She Has Stopped.
Just Steam and Ash...
There is an Ash Cloud Moving South-Southwest.
10-15 Miles From the Mountain.
Traveling Down Toward and Over Portland, Oregon Shortly.
Portland(PDX) Airport Still Open.

How Exciting to See.
This Could be the Start of Something Big.

This message was edited Oct 1, 2004 1:15 PM

Long Beach, CA(Zone 10b)

Hi, ZZ! Will you get covered in ash then? I bet that it is pretty exciting to be so close!

No Ash Here...
I'm at Oregon State University(Corvallis).
But the OSU Weather Station Offices in Our Same Building are Going Wild Collecting All the Data and Watching All the Screens and Drums...I'm Sure.
I'll Head Down there Later Today.

The Johnson Observatory is at Least 5 Miles Away.
Geologists Knew When it Blew that it Would Be Small.
Otherwise the Observatory and Surrounding Areas...Would be Closed.
All Trails Around the Mountain and Up to the Crater Have Been Closed for Awhile.

Long Beach, CA(Zone 10b)

Also I don't think that they would take school groups to the visitors center there today if it had potential to be that bad.

Fort Pierce, FL(Zone 10a)

"would they surf in a hurricane I do wonder?"

Daisy, I think if they had a picture on that site you would see a few of those people with their surfboards in tow! All the excitement has died down here in FL so they are looking for their next adrenaline fix. LOL
Pati

Moab, UT(Zone 6b)

Thanks, Daisy without your post I woulda missed it.

Long Beach, CA(Zone 10b)

Blooms- you woulda missed the volcano?

Fortunately, Pati, I am assuming here so I could be wrong, but I am betting that the folks who go to watch Mt St Helens have a little more going on up in the gray matter than the fools with thier body boards. I hope they are more cautious, at least.

Gordonville, TX(Zone 7b)

Apples and oranges, pun intended.

O.K. John, you're having WAY too much fun! LOL
Pati

Atascadero, CA(Zone 8a)

huhmm. . .I don't think I like all this action. . .thinking about that swarm of Mammoth quakes in '80 reminded me that I had my 3 kids and niece and nephew at the zoo and we were in the reptile house when one of the big tremors hit . . .boy did that place empty out post haste!!!

This message was edited Oct 1, 2004 1:57 PM

Long Beach, CA(Zone 10b)

Too funny, John! LOL

Gordonville, TX(Zone 7b)

Fell into that one!

So.App.Mtns., United States(Zone 5b)

Uh, Oh. I don't like this. Mt St Helens seems a small eruption but taking that with all the other seismic activity along the west coast mekes me nervous for all y'all.

Mirpur (A.K), Pakistan(Zone 9b)

Any pictures?

Denver, CO(Zone 5b)

When it erupted in the 80's, we had ash on the side of our house here in Colorado. I can only imagine what it was like closer to the Mt. Yall stay safe, and Im praying for the best.

Seattle, WA(Zone 8b)

1980 was indeed aweful....1986 was nothing much....this is even less (so far).

Auburn Hills, MI(Zone 6a)

how is everyone out there doing? so many scary things happening,,,

Spokane Valley, WA(Zone 5b)

Heh... wouldya believe we were at CostCo when the 'explosion' occurred on Mount St. Helens? Had to go check out those bulbs for fall planting. :)

Not that we're that close, and we *ARE* northeast, but phooey! Missed the lil sputter on the internet after all these hours of watching the volcano cam. *giggle*

Still keeping a wary eye on the news as it is presented, and hoping all in the Vancouver, WA and Portland, OR areas are doing fine!

Donna

Long Beach, CA(Zone 10b)

It looks kind of gone now- for someone who never watches TV I want more! But for everyone who would be affected I am glad it seems over.

Gordonville, TX(Zone 7b)

Donna, do you have a link for that "volcano cam?"

John

Yessiryabetcha, John! The volcano cam is at: http://www.fs.fed.us/gpnf/volcanocams/msh/ :)

Gordonville, TX(Zone 7b)

Thanks. I'll be looking for an orange glow once it gets dark there!

Taylor Creek, FL(Zone 10a)

John, is that from your yard or on the site?

Long Beach, CA(Zone 10b)

Bwahahaha! Super collider near you, John?

Gordonville, TX(Zone 7b)

After I finish my Miller's! LOL

5:00pm/PST
They Have Now(1:30pm)Raised the Alert Level to 3.
They Have Found Moving Magma Beneath the Dome.
And They Are Making this Alert Level 3(The Highest) Because...
They Feel There is Danger to Life and Property So...
They are Beginning to Evacuate a Broader Area.
Also They Have Found a Crack in the Dome.
They Are Checking for Gases Now.
Which Means if Gases are Leaking through the Dome then a Magma Eruption Will be Definate.
Scary Stuff For All the Residents Around the Mountain.

This All Came From Our Local Portland TV Affilate(KOIN-TV/6) at 5pm(PST)Who's Helicopter Was the One Photographing the Mountain When the Steam and Ash Explosion that Happened Yesterday...that Most Everyone Around the Country Has Seen By Now.

All Planes and Helicopters as of 1:30pm Today are at a Now...5 Mile Distance and that Will Probably be Increased Very Soon.

They are Right at the Stage of Almost Going as Far as Saying a Large Eruption is Likely.
I'm Going to Put a Link Here For the TV Station(KOIN-TV/Portland).

Orders Have Been Made Now to Evacuated the Johnson Ridge Observatory.
That is Where All Those People Were Yesterday...And This Morning that You Guys Have Seen Interviewed With the Mountain in the Background.

This is Now Getting Serious!

This message was edited Oct 2, 2004 8:24 PM

OK.
They Had a News Conference at 5:45pm Special Information and Updates Were Given.
They Have Said They Expect the Mountain to Erupt Within the Next 24-48 Hours.
They are Predicting a Magma Eruption.
They Did Not Say..."For Sure"...Just That They Expect This to Happen For 3 Reasons.

1. They Have Found a Crack in the South Flank of the Original Old Bedrock Dome
2. They Have Actually Found the Gas Emitting From the Crater of Hydrogen-Sulfide.
3. The Harmonic Tremors Continue to Get Stronger.

Individuals Who Were Let Out on the Craters Rim to Plant New Sensors Today Have Smelled a Heavy Consentrations of Hydrogen-Sulfide Gases.

Here is the Link to the Best Coverage(Koin-TV/Portland) and There are Lots of Links on the Site Concerning Happenings at Mt St. Helens!
(A Word of Caution...I Have Found Several of the Links Crash From So Many People Logging Onto Them)

http://www.koin.com/

I'll Post Again After the 11 O'Clock News Tonight...With Live News Coverage From the Mountain.

Gordonville, TX(Zone 7b)

Thanks for the link!

Well No New News Except...
They Are Getting Tremors/Earthquakes Now...
3 a Minute.

Just Hope Everyone Around the Mountain Are Preparing for an Eruption...If and When an Eruption Occurs

WOW, this is truly scarey stuff! Thanks for the link. I recently read a book about the awesome eruption of Krakatoa....just unbelievable. At this point I would be raising my own dust storm heading out of there!
Pati

*smiles at Patischell*

You have dealt with recent hurricanes, just got power back, and are now checking up on us along the west coast?

I like your style, and love seeing you back on DG in full force! You're one of those folks that exude positive energy everywhere you post. :)

Donna

Panhandle, FL(Zone 8a)

Thanks everyone for the information and links! This is fascinating stuff and worrisome too. My son lives in Portland so I will be watching closely, seems DG is the best place for me to get info! Keep it coming.
Connie

Auburn Hills, MI(Zone 6a)

things that the world has had to deal with all the time is amazing and scary for people to deal with, but the more we know the better off everyone will be,, the earth is just truely amazing !!!

So.App.Mtns., United States(Zone 5b)

I'm here, too, watching and praying for everyone. I thought my "weather" watch would be over with no hurricanes in progress... I was wrong.

Taylor Creek, FL(Zone 10a)

me too.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.