How to: Chicken Coup/New Chick on the Block

Everglades, FL(Zone 10a)

Hi Folks,
My husband and I are both cancer survivors and are about to move to property (38 acre junk yard) that will be our future farm and exotic fruit tree grove. I would like to have my own chickens for wholesome eggs. Can you suggest the best egg-laying chicken for South Florida and how to build a coup? We will be in a highly critter area so free range (Everglades) isn't an option. We rarely have a freeze, if that makes a difference. What chickens do you recommend and I hate to say but HOW and what do we need to do to build a safe coup? Also, my hubby eats chicken what is a good chick for that? When you collect eggs, is there a safe way from mean chickens? I don't know a thing but I had friends that were constantly attacted when collecting eggs. What are the best chickens for S. Florida and how do we start? I am just trying to be healthy! Thanks in advance!

This thread has 44 replies. This forum is accessible only to subscribing members of Dave's Garden. There are many free features here, and about half of our forums are completely open to all members. And learn more about Dave's Garden, and explore the benefits of becoming a subscribing member.

Want to join? Register here. Already signed up? Click here to login!