Thunbergia grandiflora "blue sky vine"

(Taylor) Plano, TX(Zone 8a)

These have just started blooming this past week.
I "have a thing" for blue flowers...
-seedpicker_TX

Thumbnail by seedpicker_TX
Mesilla Park, NM

Oh my lord, you did it now.. this is so pretty, all your vines are so pretty. I just ordered one of these, at Kartuz and they said they were out of the light blue, but could send me a dark blue.. this was sometime last week, so I hope they mail them out soon.. I just love your vines. Just gorgeous.

Gourdy girl!!!
NO! NO! NO!
I have millions of these! Don't buy any!
email me! lol...
-Seedpicker_TX

Lewiston, CA(Zone 7b)

Seedpicker, I have been searching for this vine. Are they easy to start?
Do you start from cuttings or seed. I saw this flower on someones website several years ago & fell in love, since then I was promised some but lost track from who. Needless to say I didn't get it.
Do you have some I could trade something for?
I don't actually have a trade list, but I do have some coll things kicking around in my garden! I'll e-mail you also.
Bj

Brooklyn, NY(Zone 7b)

Thanks seedpicker...
the picture here definately id-ed my mystery vine for me ....
I was looking for a clitorea and when this came up in with my morning glorys I thought I'd fould it.. but not that I see this I know it's mine...also... just a few flowers starting now.. maybe I cna get a better picture sometime soon... Thanks again SP... all the best .... Gordon

Thumbnail by GordonHawk
Deep South Coastal, TX(Zone 10a)

BJ, I think Gordon started his from seed(saw that on another thread). I have rooted cuttings in vermiculite and I"ve also started some from leaves, but they take a long time to make a plant from a leaf.
Seedpicker, don't you just love the blue color of the sky vine? In Mexico some of the restaurants that had outdoor dining had frames made with these vines covering them like a roof over the dining area. It was very pretty.

I'll bet that was gorgeous!
They look their best when they can grow on a tall structure, and let their blooms dangle down in long ropes...one of my favorites...
-seedpicker_TX

Jones Creek, TX(Zone 9a)

Oh Boy do I love the Thumbergia, the Light blue is the Thumbergia Grandfloria, "Blue Sky Vine", The Dark blue is Thumbergia Battiscombie, "Mercer Blue". I love mine and I almost lost it this year due to planting it in a bad place. But I pulled it up repotted it and it is going like crazy now.........very pretty indeed........
I am trying to root some of the cuttings I took off it to shape it back up if I have some luck I will let you know and share them with you too...........
:o)
Dee

Thumbnail by WillowWasp

Dee-
Thank you! That is very sweet! I already have that one, though. I kinda have a "collection" going...

The battiscombei are great! A little dark(I like pastels), but they are in constant bloom in the hottest part of summer when everything else sulks...

How about I sent you the white variety(T. grandiflora alba) with our trade? I also have the T. fragrans, and a few others.
I'll make a note of it...
-seedpicker_TX

Jones Creek, TX(Zone 9a)

Dog gone it shouda known.........is there anything you don't have? LOL
I am sure I will come up with something and surprise you one day. I sure would love the white one. I don't have it and I dont' have the light blue one either. I was going to get one and the nursury never got any more in so we are still waiting.
You are right they do keep on blooming, Really nice to have.
This photo is one at a Nursury in Kehma that closed, You can bet they didn't leave this one behind.....
:o)
Dee

Thumbnail by WillowWasp

If they just had a fragrance, they WOULD be my favorite!

Is that the nursery that was demolished?
-seedpicker_TX

Jones Creek, TX(Zone 9a)

Yes, When we went back I was looking for anything that was left.......all was gone......
:p
Dee

Chariton, IA(Zone 5b)

Great pictures everyone. My sky vine is budded but I'm not sure it will bloom before frost. I may have to whack it off and bring it in.

Cassopolis, MI(Zone 5a)

Keep those photos coming. I love them all!!!! I think my spring list just got a little longer!!!

Cedar Key, FL(Zone 9a)

I lost my big one I had for a few years,bummed me right out.....
But I had some seeds for one I had gotten in a co-op
Started them over the winter and ,even though the plant is small it bloomed...but its white......
so what is the white one?
Its not blue so I can't call it my blue sky vine...LOL

There are three different "white" thunbergia, but if yours looks just like the blue sky vine, but white, it is Thunbergia grandiflora 'alba'. Alba means white.
There is also Thunbergia alata 'alba', and Thunbergia 'Fragrans'.
-seedpicker_TX

Plano, TX(Zone 8a)

I would like to find the white one that blooms in the shade. Seedpicker, do you know which one that is?

Thunbergia alata alba can take partial sun, half day shade...
Here is a link: http://www.anniesannuals.com/signs/t%20-%20u/thunbergia_alata_a.htm

Plano, TX(Zone 8a)

Great. Thank you!!

New Madison, OH(Zone 5a)

Seedpicker...that is beautiful!!

San Jose, CA(Zone 9b)

These vines are truly gorgeous. I just love anything that is really blue, such a delight, especially mixed with yellows. I have some of the the yellow Thunbergia growing and I adore these, too. I would love to trade or SASE for some of these seeds if anyone is interested.

Those white's are really cool, too, Seedpicker. I REALLY need to check out Annie's Annuals. She's only 40 minutes away...I'm just afraid of spending the mortgage!

~ Angela

Angela-
You lucky girl! She always has such neat stuff!
-seedpicker_TX

Cassopolis, MI(Zone 5a)

I have the white thunbergia if anyone is interested in trading for the blue, all though it sounds like you all ready have that one too!!!!

I should have said that I have seeds for the white. That I would like to trade for seeds from the blue!!!

This message was edited Sep 30, 2004 9:02 PM

Cedar Key, FL(Zone 9a)

I'd trade for a blue but my white is still to small to take cuttings from.....I think...then I have to figure out how to root it
me and that rooting thing have issues...LOL

Needville, TX(Zone 9a)

Gosh that is pretty SP!!!!!! I love those pastels too!

San Jose, CA(Zone 9b)

Seedpicker, another reason that I really want to check out Annie's is that I understand that she gives her plants absolutely NO supplemental watering, yet everything blooms like crazy all season long... As my every increasing water bill expands along with my garden, I know I'm gonna have to find ways to save on water (so I can spend it on plants!) :D

plant_fiend-
I did not know that about them. That is impressive!
-seedpicker_TX

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.