worm castings

Rutland , MA(Zone 5b)

has anyone ever used this? is it as good as advertised?
any info will be appreciated. thanks

Long Beach, CA(Zone 10b)

They will help keep white fly away (not immediately but within a month or so) in addition to the other great fertilizing benefits. I have also seen it save dying trees when applied.

Rutland , MA(Zone 5b)

daisy - thanks for your input. i don't know why but here in upstate new york i very rarely have problems with insects or grubs or anything that bothers my vegetable garden. can't same the same about the deer. lol. thanks again

So.App.Mtns., United States(Zone 5b)

Herbie, I know Nathalyn used a bunch in her garden this year. You should drop her an email as she may not see this thread.

Rutland , MA(Zone 5b)

darius - thanks will give her a try.

Herbie, did you get any info from Nat?

Rutland , MA(Zone 5b)

darius - not yet

I cannot believe she didn't answer an email, but I know the last week of September is for closing the books where she works. Please try sending another...

Rutland , MA(Zone 5b)

darius - will do. thanks

Pioneer, CA

Worm castings are wonderful for the garden, as well as your house plants. We live near a rabbitry where the woman raises worms below the hutches, sells the rabbit "poop" and castings,
So reasonable--- 5$ for a cubic foot of castings, (1$ for a seed bag full of droppings) and they are so fresh, usually full of worms too.Everything I use them on just thrives!!

Tonasket, WA(Zone 5a)

Boy, do I wish I could get worm castings for $5.00 a cubic foot. I think I had to pay about @20.00. I would use it on everything if it weren't so expensive. Right now I don't have any and the closest place i can get any is 130 miles away. Donna

Bethany, IL(Zone 5b)

Book recommendation: "Worms Eat My Garbage" by Mary Appelhof ISBN 0-92256-10-7 I attended a vermiculture symposium in Springfield, Illinois, and the "Worm Lady" gave a great presentation. Included a very (my favorite words!) simple and inexpensive plan for a worm bin, too. Check it.

Atascadero, CA(Zone 8a)

Another fairly recent book is by Amy Stewart called 'The Earth Moved: On the Remarkable Achievements of Earthworms'...very good according to a friend who teaches a class on vermiculture. The author is not a scientist, but just an ordinary gardener who was interested in all she could learn about earthworms. Some studies have shown that worm castings are supposed to produce plants that are better able to resist pests and diseases and they are also good biomonitors to measure pollutant levels, as they can ingest large amts. of soil pollutants and survive, in addition to many other benefits to your soil. The following Website is called the 'Worm Digest'and it has a link to PDF directions for making a small worm bin called OSCR and links to other worm bins you can make at home. The home page has some interesting stuff on it too . .OSCR is a great project for children and you get the benefit of the bi-products for your gardening.
;-D Janet

http://www.wormdigest.org/The_OSCR_Junior.html

Rutland , MA(Zone 5b)

darius - forgot to tell you that nat got in touch me with. thanks. she wasw very helpful

San Jose, CA(Zone 9b)

Hi Herbie, I've been vermicomposting for almost two years now. I agree with dguimo, "everything I use them on thrives". I have noticed since I've been using them, I have less problems with aphids and white flies. Lucky you, no bug problems, but then again, I've never had to worry about deer in my garden.

Rutland , MA(Zone 5b)

plant_fiend - thanks for the info. i will try to get some.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.