tiger lily seed pods

Franklin, LA(Zone 9a)

so, I let one of my tiger lilies go to seed this year . . . mind you, I really don't know a thing about seed collecting, I'm just experimenting this year.

The pods finally started to crack open, so I brought them in and opened them up. Inside all I find is what looks like chaff . . . *pout*

Has anyone ever collected tiger lily seeds? What do the seeds look like? If the seeds are tiny or if they look like chaff please let me know before I throw this whole mess out.

Cheri'

Not sure what you got there, lily seeds are quite thin. Tiger lilies are so quick to reproduce bulbils and bulblets that is doesn't seem worth starting from seed unless you crossed them with something interesting.

Lenexa, KS(Zone 6a)

I agree.....I collect their bulbils and scatter them about. That's how I got mine in fact from SIL bulbils a couple of years ago.

Franklin, LA(Zone 9a)

ah well, I'm just going to throw the whole mess away. I was just curious . . .

Thanx for the responses!

Cheri'

Winnipeg, MB(Zone 2b)

Well, throw it into the ground and mark well. See what happens in the spring.
Inanda

Willits, CA(Zone 8a)

I threw a bunch of bulbils in a pot this summer and now they're starting to sprout.

Lakeland, FL

hi there, does anyone out there know how long it will take for daylily seeds to sprout? i am in lakeland,fla. hurricane alley ha ha, i planted a bunch of seeds in pots 3 weeks ago, faithfully watering etc. and nuttin" yet? appreciate a answer i am a newbie. corky

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.