Gladiolus seeds

Flat Rock, NC(Zone 7b)

Can anyone tell me what Gladiolus seeds look like? Or does someone have, or know where I can get a picture of the seed?
Thanks!

Banning, CA(Zone 9b)

Gladiolus seeds are little brown paper like , almost transparent with a hard seed in the center... i have seen them as round as the size of a pencil eraser, they look as if the wind could pic it up easily , i have planted some this past year and they sprouted nicely... when i get some time i will take a pic of mine i got this year...hope this helps...
chrissy

Flat Rock, NC(Zone 7b)

Thanks, Chrissy. That's what I have, then. Cool! Now I just wonder what color they are? LOL How did you plant yours? Should I throw them outside in the bed, or start them in pots in the spring?

Belleville , IL(Zone 6b)

You can start the gladiola bulbils outdoors in the spring.
Do you have mature gladiolas? Are they hardy or do you have to dig them up?
I have dug mine up in zone 7 for the last several years. When I take the bulbs up, there is a dead corm part that is sort of shriveled at the very bottom of the plant. This is old and will not grow again. Then between the other fat corm are a lot of bulbils that have formed which you call seeds. I rub them off and plant them when I replant the mature corms in the spring.
I may leave a lot of them in the ground this year as the ones I over look have always come back. So maybe with the protection they get from being near the house they are hardy there.
It may take two years before the flowers appear. After that, they continue to produce bulbils and new corms every year.
If you have any other questions, I have left the thread to be watched.

Flat Rock, NC(Zone 7b)

Thanks for the info, Windy. I have never taken up my glads, as I biught what were labelled as Hardy glads, and I've never had a problem with them.

I never even thought about collecting seeds from them until this year, tho; so had no idea what the planting particulars were. I kind of figured it would take a while for blooms, but since I got these from someone and they're different from mine, I can be patient!

Muscoda, WI(Zone 4b)

A very interesting question and very interesting answers...but I'm a bit confused. This is the first time I've planted glads in my flower gardens. I planted both the hardy and the tender varieties. I collected seeds from some of the flowers of both varieties because I just couldn't stand not *trying* to grow them. :-)

When I lifted the tender glads, I saw how much larger the new corm was compared to the original I'd planted. I also saw a great number of bulbils. Some bulbils weren't attached very well, and fell off easily when I cleaned the corms.

My question is when should I try planting the seeds? Is there any special treatment I should know about?

Also, next year when I replant the corms, do I plant them with the bulbils attached, or do I plant those seperately and perhaps in nursery pots or flats?

~julie~

Banning, CA(Zone 9b)

ur welcome shaz... (: hi julie... i myself never put too much attention to the seeds... i just took them out and planted them after all danger of frost was gone.. i did last year start one inside.. but i think it damped off or didnt have enough light.. something.. everytime i grow seed inside , it always dies so i just try to stick to putting in the ground and letting nature have them.. (: i get better results that way... as for the baby corms... i would take them off the big corm and store them till spring... when i plant them i pinch them between my thumb and finger until the outer shell cracks , that gives them a boost for growing faster when u plant them.. plus u can see if the baby is good or not.. it should be whitish (sometimes with a pinkish or yellowish glow, depending on the color of the flower) , anyway hope that helped... (:

Muscoda, WI(Zone 4b)

Cool, cici. I'll try both ways. I do have plant lights so I can try sowing indoors. Years ago when I tried indoor sowing, I think I lost everything to damp off...but I didn't have DG back then.

Thanks for your help.

~julie~

Belleville , IL(Zone 6b)

If you plant them with the bulbils still attached you will get a sort of clump of little grass around the main flower. By grass I mean that is what the little bulbils will send up.
After a while you would have to thin them out. So plant the bulbils in a different area, so they do not get too think. I am not sure if the hybrids will turn out as a parent plant if you have those. Glads do very well lifted and kept in newspaper in a plastic grocery bag in my closet every winter. But this year, I think I will try leaving them in the ground and see if they survive. It sounds cruel, doesn't it. LOL

Muscoda, WI(Zone 4b)

Windy...Shame upon you...tsk tsk tsk...poor little things. LOL (I doubt they'll suffer much in your zone.) Thanks for telling me how you store them. I was going to have to look the details up. I know how to keep cannas and dahlias (at least I hope I do.)

My glads aren't hybrids...just an el cheapo collection from a mailorder company. But I really did fall in love with them all over again, once they bloomed. AND I bought more to plant for next year, too, besides the seeds and bulbils. :-D (I LOVE Glads!)

~julie~

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.