Lily of the nile - growing from seed - any hints?

Brooksville, FL(Zone 9a)

Hi, I have some lily of the nile / African lily seeds:
http://davesgarden.com/pdb/go/139/index.html

I planted them in soil (pots) but had low germination rates - I germinated several in a damp paper towel and had great rates, so obviously, I did something wrong in the soil.

Is there a trick to these - how deep do you plant the seeds? I would assume not very deep - but do you cover them with soil or not at all? I see in other posts to keep damp during germination,perhaps that is what I did wrong - not damp enough. Anyway - any hints or help would be appreciated before I try planting more!

Thanks!
Onalee

Atascadero, CA(Zone 8a)

American Horticultural Society says:

Quoting:
Cut flowerheads 'in the green' when the seedpods are swollen but before they split open. Keep in a box in a warm, dry place until the seeds have been released. Seeds sown at 61 degrees F should germinate within three weeks. Grow established seedlings in a cold frame and, if necessary, protect from cold; in spring, transfer to a nursery bed. The new plants should flower in the third year.

Easier to do root divisions. You get quicker results (i.e. flowering). if they are substantial sized divisions which can flower the same year. If it is a single crown, may take a year or more to get flowers, usually 2-3 years.

Brooksville, FL(Zone 9a)

jcangemi,

Thanks for the info. Sounds like I did what they said to do - I got the seeds from a parking lot, I don't think they would like me digging up their plants for divisions, though!

;-)

Thanks,
Onalee

Atascadero, CA(Zone 8a)

Oooh. . they might not have taken too kindly to that. .LOL Hope they grow for you..

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.