i need help with my blueberry....

Siloam Springs, AR

i planted a very healty bluenerry in the early summer. it was about 2 foot tall at the time.
it is planted in a semi wet soil with good drianage. the plant has not grown 1" since i planted it. it is still alive but i worried it will not be for long. the leaves have developed some type of red spots on them. the spots have been on the plant for some time now and i don't know how to get rid of them. will this hurt the plant? any help would be great!
i do not have a picture of it but i will try to get one and post it.
thanks for your help

Augusta, GA(Zone 8a)

A couple of things to look for. 1. All blueberries require an acid soil, they sulk in normal soil. The pH needs to be around 5 or below. 2. Bluebberies can not tolerate wet feet double check your drainage. 3. There are different types of blueberries for different climates. Most of Arkansas would require Southern highbush or rabbit eye cultivars.

Siloam Springs, AR

thanks so much.
i will check out the soil again. i think it was at 6 on PH last time i checked. the acid in our soil is high so i think that is not a problem.
maybe i can build a box for it and replant it above ground, leaving the bottom open for drainage. their is a bit of clay in our soil and it does not drain well.
i really want this little guy to survive. thanks again for the help.

Augusta, GA(Zone 8a)

A pH of 6 is most likely a problem. You try a soil acidifier like Green Light.

Siloam Springs, AR

i'm on my way right now! thanks again for all the help. maybe we can save this little guy yet!

Willits, CA(Zone 8a)

I bought a blueberry bush a few years ago and planted it in peat moss instead of soil. It's grown well over the years and produces lots of berries for us. I also mulch it each year with pine needles.

Siloam Springs, AR

i have made a box for it above ground with good drainage. i added the peat and the fertilizer so we will see how it goes. its looking a bit crispy now but i wonder if its just going dormant? should it be cut back now? in the spring? or cut back at all?
the wood is still alive but the leaves are really ugly now :(
i will keep after it. i want so much for it to live. plants are like puppies huh?
i will keep you posted and thanks so much for all your help.....

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.