Collecting Canna Seeds - Here's mine

Muscoda, WI(Zone 4b)

This is the first year I've collected the seeds from my canna plants. Until I came to DG I had no idea what those "weird" little green pods might actually hold...and certainly didn't know I could *grow* new ones!

I took some photos of the plants, the seed pods (immature and ripe) and thought I'd share them here.

(A) Left - Immature seed pods / Right - Mature seed pods
(B) Mature seed pods - Split and ready to collect
(C) Method one - retrieve by squeezing pod top to bottom
(D) Method two - Cut entire pod from plant
Center - seeds from three plants (2 - 3 seeds from each pod)

It's easy to know when to collect the seeds. The pods will dry completely and begin to split open or will easily split with squeezed gently . I haven't lost a seed yet as they don't "fly" out of the pod.

Hope this helps.

~julie~

P.S. Please excuse the garden dirt and icky fingernails. :-D

Thumbnail by julie88
Oostburg, WI(Zone 5b)

Great pix, Julie. Thanks! I don't have any that dry yet but will sure know what to look for now. You should add them to the PDB if there are no seed/poc pix there. :)

Muscoda, WI(Zone 4b)

Thanks for the compliment, Kooger...I appreciate it. I'll try to get the pic uploade to the PDB today. (Thanks for the kick in the fanny. ;-))

~julie~

Pittsboro, NC(Zone 7b)

Thanks for the instructions and tips. I've never collected seeds from my Cannas before. I might try it this year. I decided to collect more seeds from many of my plants this year so I can share them with friends.
-Jamie

Muscoda, WI(Zone 4b)

Jamie...I'm glad the thread helped. I managed to collect quite a few seeds from my cannas as our weather got cooler. Now I'm looking forward to trying to grow them. :-)

~julie~

Brooksville, FL(Zone 9a)

Anyone have any tips on planting them? Should I soak them first? They seem quite hard . . .

Any tips would be appreciated - I got some from my neighbors plants, but want to make sure I plant them to assure the best germination. .. .

thanks,
Onalee

Brooksville, FL(Zone 9a)

Julie - that's an excellent rundown on how to harvest the seeds - you should post it on some (at least one!) of the canna entries in the DB so it will be saved there for others to learn from . . .

Onalee

Pocahontas, TN(Zone 7b)

Have you ever thought about just stopping when you see a nice clump of canna and asking if you can collect the seeds.... I did!!! Darlin' lady let me collect the seeds and gave me a couple of plants just in case.

On my next trip I took her a 4" hanging basket of Silver Fuzzy Wandering Jew!!

Now I have lots of seeds and my first attempt 3 seeds in a pot, turned out great I got one seedling. The next attempt of doing the same thing failed one seedling out of 24 planted. Must have been temp, I'll study up on it.

Muscoda, WI(Zone 4b)

Thank you Onalee, I appreciate your comment. I think you put your finger right on the reason I haven't put the picture in the PDB...I have *no* idea of which entry to post it on. I know there's a discussion going on in Dave's Garden forum about doing something that will allow us to post seed collecting images...but I haven't visited the thread for a while.

judycooksey, thanks for your reply, too. I must admit I've thought of walking up to many a door asking for permission to collect a few seeds for different plants. So far, I haven't done it. :-) But I'm glad *you* did...and that you had great experience as well.

~julie~

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.