Opinions please / What qualifies a landscaper?

Beaverton, OR

Here's a consumer opinion subject that maybe you can help me with.

You may have noticed on another forum, that I'm on Oregon's board that tests and licenses landscape contractors.

There are a few ways that enable landscapers to QUALIFY to sit for the exam. They can work for a licensed landscape contractor for 2 years. Or, they can get 24 letters from customers for various small projects - like $500 or less - for 6 letters per each of 4 years. About last year, the board decided to allow a 2, 4 or 5 year degree substitute for any experience and allow someone to sit for the exam.

Personally, I don't like the 24 letter thing - but it's there. I prefer experience or experience with education.

Now here's the deal. The college here wants us to also accept the 2 year certificates which have nearly the same industry related credit hours as the 2 year degree.

My concern is: are we as a board "focused" on the issue right? Are we doing the right thing by setting qualifications for an exam in allowing only 2 years of education if no experience exists? That's because once the people pass the exam, they can contract any level of landscape construction including decks and fences and water features. At that moment, they are able to get the business license. And if they hire an employee, that employee will start to become qualified for testing under their supervision?

How do you folks view this? What would you like to see as consumers? The premise must remain that there will be a license bond and insurance, since that will not change in this state. But as consumers and gardener people, what do you think a person should have "under their belt" to qualifiy to sit for an exam? That's considering that passing means they can start writing contracts right away.

Please feel free to list your ideas. This is not an issue I'm planning to debate myself. If anything, I may clarify our laws and rules. But I'm mainly looking for consumer ideas instead of viewpoints that we board members have.

Thanks.

This thread has 7 replies. This forum is accessible only to subscribing members of Dave's Garden. There are many free features here, and about half of our forums are completely open to all members. And learn more about Dave's Garden, and explore the benefits of becoming a subscribing member.

Want to join? Register here. Already signed up? Click here to login!