Use of empty cardboard egg cartons

New York & Terrell, TX(Zone 8b)

I use empty cardboard egg cartons to dry out seeds and seed heads, wrapped first in cut up paper towels. I store them to dry out on top of the fridge, where the temp is 70 to 75 degrees.

This is also a good place to germinate some seeds too. Why waste the heat it's like a free incubator up there.

Empty cardboard egg cartons are also good as seed germinators; I put them in a plastic/styrofoam clean meat tray; and water from the bottom. If the cardboard is dry, then they need watering.

I write the plants'/seeds names on an address label in a fine indelible marker and stick it onto the pot. I'm forever loosing the 'name' tags; or maybe there's a fairie stealing name tags gang out there.

I found this site to be quite helpful to me:
Golden Harvest Organics - Site Map
[HYPERLINK@www.ghorganics.com]

Organic Insect Treatments

Companion Planting

HTH, Robin

As I posted in General Discussion: Favorite gardening tip:
http://davesgarden.com/forums/t/385522/

Pocola, OK(Zone 7a)

Thank you for this info, Robin. I've been wondering if I could use my egg cartons for seed starting, just hadn't tried it yet.

I wonder why these links didn't work?
Sherri

Well Sherri,

I don't know why. You can always do copy and paste.

try: Site Map: http://www.ghorganics.com/Site_Map.html

Somehow it didn't pick up the dot with the html extension at the end, I guess.
It's working now for the site map.

This message was edited Oct 7, 2004 10:24 PM

Carmel, NY(Zone 6b)

What a great idea! Waste not, want not!

Thanks!

Guilford, CT(Zone 7a)

I was saving the egg cartons for seeds, but I still had 50 or so extra. I soaked them in water, ripped them into small pieces, & tossed the bits into my roadside garden to help amend the (sand) soil. I agree - waste not, want not!

Carmel, NY(Zone 6b)

Hey - would the styro bubbles you get in packages work for that too? I always add them to the bottom of my big planters to help with drainage, but I never thought about that for some of my beds. And after seeing YOUR gardens,etc. - I'm taking any advice YOU have to offer. Your gardens are awesome!

Dallas, TX(Zone 8a)

Cardboard (egg cartons) will biodegrade in the soil... I don't think styrafoam will though... but I could be wrong! :) Jamie

Carmel, NY(Zone 6b)

Aha! I get my eggs in styro cartons - silly me. Never mind! ~8-o Double duh!

Pocola, OK(Zone 7a)

Sequee, they should still work great for starting seeds.

Carmel, NY(Zone 6b)

But I'd better keep them out of my compost pile! I actually took your tip and started some seeds in them I put holes in the little thingees on the bottom, then place the entire "planter" into the top as a drain pan! Now I'm waiting to see my happy little seed-babies pop out!

Pocola, OK(Zone 7a)

Cool! Let us know how it works for you.

Carmel, NY(Zone 6b)

Will do! I'm derarately trying to get some marigolds going to keep the whiteflies at bay. Also had to seed some veggies, though my sunroom is already crowded due to some very generous DG traders!

Guilford, CT(Zone 7a)

I saw some more room in that one corner...

Carmel, NY(Zone 6b)

Yeah, but, but... I just brought in the adorable little Umbrella Palm (thank you!), 2 tomato plants, a Kumquat plant, and my silver dust!

Wich reminds me - the Umbrella Palm keeps falling into the water...any suggestions?

Sequee, check email.

This message was edited Oct 11, 2004 10:56 PM

Thumbnail by NatureWalker
Guilford, CT(Zone 7a)

Janice - the Umbrella Palm will start to hold itself upright once it roots well. It just needs to get started. Perhaps you can support it with a stick & wire for now....
Send a photo of the Kumquat!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.