Removing seeds form Echinacea purpurea

New York & Terrell, TX(Zone 8b)

I found something in Wally's world thats good for removing seeds form Echinacea purpurea.

They're called 'Machine Quilting Finger Tips.' They're a bright irritating red; so when they fall on the floor, you can find them easily. They have little nipple grippers on them, for better gripping; (of course.) Find them in the sewing/quilting section. I have large hands for a woman, size 8. They're 8 to a pack, and the largest fit my thumbs. Do you really need ones for your pinky? ... nah!

Warning they are rubber; so they get your finger tips sweaty after an hour or so.
But the warmth feels good, LOL.

Robin

Osage City, KS(Zone 5b)

What a GREAT tip (no pun intended) ........ I've been trying to harvest some of these and they can hurt......

~ Bump ~

Benton, KY(Zone 7a)

If the seed heads are dry, the seeds will fall right out if you tap them on a hard surface...no need for picking them out at all.

I do know that Melody; it's just that some people are in a hurry to try and get the seeds out.

When you tie them in a brown paper bag upside down in the fall, they fall mostly out of the seed head by January. I let the stems stick out of the top of the bag for an easy grip.

The curtains in the bedroom are decorated with bags on strings across the top like that, hanging from the rods with "S" hooks... LOL! Well, it's a good warm spot up there.

~* Robin

Benton, KY(Zone 7a)

Yep, we're not a patient bunch, are we? I think we're all alike in that respect.....and I've got bags and boxes of stuff here and there in my house too....you'd be right at home.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.