I found this Daddy Long Legs on my back patio

Modi'in, Israel

nminmd, what's funny is that a Daddy Long Legs is the ONLY spider on the planet that doesn't bother me in the least. LOL ALL the rest give me the CREEPS!

-Julie

Gordonville, TX(Zone 7b)

Thats probably cuz its an insect (count the legs) not a spider, silly.

Modi'in, Israel

recount John...there are 8 ;-)....the front two are slightly hidden from view by the second pair.

Edited to say though that you are right, it isn't an spider...despite the fact that it has 8 legs. It doesn't have two body parts which is apparently what differentiates it from spiders. Here's a link: http://yahooligans.yahoo.com/content/animals/species/3700.html
Oh heck, I'll paste the short paragraph here:

Daddy-long-legs
Phalangium opilio

Most people think these creatures are spiders, but they aren't. If you look closely, you will see that spiders have two body parts, while daddy-long-legs have only one. When they walk, daddy-long-legs use their second pair of legs to feel their way, just like some insects use their antennae. There are numerous species of daddy-long-legs. These animals cannot bite.

This message was edited Sep 28, 2004 11:11 AM

This message was edited Sep 28, 2004 11:11 AM

The one I photographed is some sort of an Opilione. I can't tell you which one it is as there are over a thousand species of them but the common gray is in my area. Say John, mine has 8 legs and it is also referred to as a Stilt Walker. It doesn't have fangs or venom. It's an arachnid allrighty but it lacks the spider's wasp style trim waist line so it isn't a spider. Spiders have two body parts. Here's what is really cool about my Daddy Long Legs that I just learned from one of my kids, they use their second pair of legs just like some insects use their antennae. When they walk, they use those legs to feel their way.

Pholcus phalangioides is also referred to as a Daddy Long Legs as is a Crane Fly which has wings. The Crane Fly is not an arachnid.

http://www.microscopy-uk.org.uk/mag/indexmag.html?http://www.microscopy-uk.org.uk/mag/spider/pholcus1.html

Poor nminmd! I only had brothers too. People need to feel sorry for us. Oh that smell you mentioned, it's a defense mechanism. One of the few defense mechanisms that Opiliones have in addition to speed. What is really cool is that if a predator actually gets close enough to touch a leg, the leg detaches. Yup, the leg detaches and flops around where it fell off. Presumably to distract the predator so the Daddy Long Leg can escape.

Thank my kid who did a report on these for this information! Wonderful critters!

Gordonville, TX(Zone 7b)

I had assumed the "second pair of legs" were antennae. If they aren't either insects or spiders, what are they? Assuming is fraught with error. My bad. :-(

Oh shoot! Julie was typing while I was typing and getting kids out the door. Good job Julie!

Modi'in, Israel

Spoken too soon John. Apparently there are Daddy long legs spiders and Daddy long legs non-spiders. For a look at the spider type: http://www.microscopy-uk.org.uk/mag/indexmag.html?http://www.microscopy-uk.org.uk/mag/spider/pholcus1.html

-Julie

Modi'in, Israel

we were both outdoing each other equilibrium! You got the same link as I got...but my kids' need for lunch allowed you to hit "send" faster than me LOL

Gordonville, TX(Zone 7b)

Oh boy. Now I'll be thinking about bugs and Demi Moore today. It will be a very confusing day! Maybe a nap will help.

I gotta run for the day. Have fun kids!

Julie, you never did tell me what that other "thing" was that you dissected. Tell me! I promise you won't offend me.

John, I ran out in my bathrobe this morning and snapped a few shots of the habitat brush piles closest to the house. There's a new thread in here somewhere titled habitat brush piles.

Modi'in, Israel

I was not saying it to spare earthwormlover (not you) being offended ;-). That should tell you enough. LOL

El Cajon, CA(Zone 10a)

I must have mentioned on another thread that my son told me that Daddy long legs actually bite and can be quite serious, but the posting back on DG said they didn't...In our sun room I actually have several of them [ have lots of plants]..they catch those pesky little flies so I leave them alone...however was not until my son mentioned the 'bite' that I became most concerned...[ he had read that someplace]..do they or do they not sting or bite..would really like to know just to be on the safe side [ would still rather have those than the pesky flies] :›)

Frederick, MD

Okay, the worm has got the poop on the daddy-O. They can bite, but the angle of their fangs is such that they can only bite creatures of a certain size. They sort of jerk the little victim up underneath them and impale them on the fangs. I just don't think they can do that to a human or any part of a human unless they get inside your ear ;)
BTW--thanks Julie. You are too kind to think of my obviously delicate sensibilities.

El Cajon, CA(Zone 10a)

Well I guess I am too big to be impaled on those fangs and I will make sure they stay away from my ears...interesting tho that they do this...would never have thought they always look so timid..but they are certainly catching a lot of those pesky little flies..which is good news.!!!

Frederick, MD

Indeed, I think they are very graceful and elegant. I like to watch them as they use those front legs to feel their way around. I don't know if they have any sensory organs on the legs to smell or taste. I doubt it. But, they pause and seem to consider all possibilities, seem to get confused and change their minds. I like to watch this and try to predict what they will do.

Those legs are ram packed with sensory organs. And the legs do serve as a sort of eyes, ears, and nose. They may process the information differently than you and I but they definitely do interpret their surroundings based on those legs and they need them to survive. That's why you notice them pausing and considering all options. Many many nerves contained within those nice long legs! The second pair of legs is the most vital set. The loss of one of those means death to the little critter. Not too many people who are observant enough to pick up on the pausing to consider all options! Gosh, I am really liking all these critter people! This site is too cool!

Frederick, MD

Welcome the gardening geeks site. That's what my son calls it ;) Talking to your gardening geeks again Mom? He asks. But he likes it.

El Cajon, CA(Zone 10a)

Earthwormer, heres a new one for your son [garden geeks?]have just been out on 'bee patrol'' I rescue all of the bees I can find out of our pool, normally I find a nice warm rock for them to recover [I tell them how silly they are as they have the fish pond right next door and can use the water plants to float on] anyways, this morning real real cool actually almost cold [sea fret coming inland from the ocean] no sun..so rocks are cold..so I leave them on the giant net/skimmer and have to blow on them as they are so water-logged..gets them moving too...in the winter it is ''earth worm'' patrol..we do not have adaquate drainage here in our area when it finally rains.. so I rescue the worms that are floating in the puddles and put them on higher ground so they can wriggle back into the soil again [ always cover them up first]..my hubby has no idea I do this he would really be wondering what was wrong with me....actually have never ever mentioned this to anyone....

Gordonville, TX(Zone 7b)

Now we all know.

Frederick, MD

But we will NOT tell. Quick, Way2, go start a thread about it ;O

Gordonville, TX(Zone 7b)

I told my neighbor. She will get the word out faster than the internet!

Frederick, MD

Oops I can hear the grapevine vibrating.

El Cajon, CA(Zone 10a)

Oh you guys I feel like such a fool...who in their right mind could top this one....OH NO!!!! I know you won't tell anyone !!! :›)

Gordonville, TX(Zone 7b)

Too late.

Lemme see here...

I routinely pick up spiders and place them outside, even those nasty looking wolf spiders.

I routinely scoop dragonflies and damselflies out of our pool. I also scooped tons of June bugs out last May. Actually, I scoop everything out of that pool and place it on the edge of a planter to dry out. The floating piece of 2x4 has been a big help as they can crawl up on it and dry off themselves. People want to know why the kids keep tossing the chunk of 2x4 in the pool. Not the kids... it's me.

I relocate bullfrogs to the bullfrog pond so that the biggun in there doesn't eat my green frogs or my leopard frogs. I gave the bullfrogs a night light too! That way more bugs come so they get well fed 24/7. I also set out shot glasses of rootbeer to attract bugs for them during the day. Well, I have to admit I also set out little balls of hamburger as the flies really glob to those and then the frogs just sit and wait for a snackie poo.

I, too, pluck worms out of rain puddles and relocate them to dry ground.

I placed an umbrella over the top of a bee's nest that had fallen to the ground. They had nested in an old birdhouse and the wind ripped it out of the tree and the rain was going right in their front "door".

And, drum roll please... I fed two baby mice KMR with an insulin syringe. One died within a few hours but the other lived. I took it to the office with me on a heating pad so that there would be no risk of the poor thing going hungry. Everyone kept looking in the little carrier expecting to see a kitten. And, I set an alarm clock throughout the night to make sure I got up to feed and potty it.

Oh, did I mention I won't let anyone use my compost pile because my chipmunk is living in it and has really wonderful tunnels in there.

Garden Geeks Unite!

Frederick, MD

Oh Equilibrium and Peterson---how I do love thee! I never even thought of all those great ideas for attracting food for my frogs. I will definitely have to try some of those. I do rescue the worms and its so difficult when they are stuck on the pavement, to pick them up without smooshing them. I also put sticks inside the rain barrel so the insects can climb out. I had to pile plastic chairs and buckets around the birdhouse post where birds were raising a clutch, so the cat couldn't climb up. That temporary solution was replaced by metal sheeting on the outside of the post the following spring. I rescued a baby wood mouse from the cat once and fed it with a dropper all day, turned out it wasn't such a baby and come evening, it sprung to life! I turned it loose in the compost heap, thinking that would be a good place to hide from my stupid cats ;) I kept them in until the next day. I stop in the road and turn over dead possums if they are the least bit fresh, especially in the spring, to check for babies in the pouch. I was successful once, and did have a thread here on DG about it a couple of months ago. Here's a refresher picture.

Thumbnail by earthwormlover
Gordonville, TX(Zone 7b)

Give us a link to that thread, ok? Very nice foto, too!

John

Oh my God! I never thought of turning over an oppossum to look in the pouch and God did give me a brain the last time I checked. I have a lump in my throat right now.

I have a shovel and a hefty garbage bag in the back of my car for the sole purpose of scraping up good raccoon kills to be able to make raccoon hats for people who want them. We are active with our kids and the boys love raccoon hats. I have a problem with buying them as I am always afraid they were trapped and killed solely for their pelt but I do not have a problem with taking road kills. Call it recycling. The taxidermist can make a raccoon hat for about $100 and the kids and their friends and their Dads love to wear these silly Daniel Boone raccoon hats complete with the tail hanging down in the back.

Needless to say it isn't as if I am not in a position to check opossums for babies and I have NEVER done this. I never even thought of doing it. I feel guilt.

If you don't have electrical run to your pond, go and get one of those cheapy solar lights at Home Depot or Menards. They work perfectly fine. Only one though.

Say earthwormlover... why don't you consider having animal control come and help you get those stray cats into a shelter? Have you ever seen any of the video clips out there of house cats that had mini cams attached to them and what they did with their "spare" time? You would be aghast. We're talking wildlife massacres here. I suppose we don't need video clips as we've all seen the feathers in the yard and the cats hanging out waiting or running across the yard with something dangling from their mouths. I routinely have animal control out here and I can tell you it helps. I was losing chipmunk after chipmunk and bird after bird and my birdfeeders were turning into nothing more than McDonald's Happy Meals for feral and stray cats. I saw one dragging off a red squirrel once that was about a third the size of the cat. I swear you will notice a difference in the diversity of animals that start hanging around if you get rid of them. I am just sorry I didn't start trapping and hauling them off to the shelters before. I can't believe what shows up here on a regular basis now. I can't believe all the species of birds. I have a few I haven't been able to identify yet but that's my husband's department... he's the bird man. One last comment, I don't need to strain the sand box for poops any more before the kids play in it and I don't run across feces in my flower beds when I am gardening. And, I currently have no male or female cats marking their territory and spraying my firewood or my window sills. Yup, have had more than my fair share of stray cats getting up on sills and spraying. I have indoor only cats and I leave the windows open regularly and I suppose they want to show my cats who is boss. Very costly to repeatedly have to replace trim where their urine seeped in and the smell was atrocious particulalry on hot and muggy days. Oh, I could go on.

Gordonville, TX(Zone 7b)

Please don't. LOL

Oops! too late, I just posted in another thread after you.

So, how's the weather in Texas today?

Gordonville, TX(Zone 7b)

Very nice. T-storms tonight and tomorrow. Much cooler in the coming days. We need the rain and I will appreciate the cool weather although it means wearing regular foot gear again. :-)

Send the rain our way! We haven't had a good rain in quite a while. We could really use it!

El Cajon, CA(Zone 10a)

This is so much music to my ears, I thought I was alone...well not quite. but around here I am [ my hubby quite good at fishing bees out of the water tho...I have him trained]..my greatest sorrow is seeing the little baby lizards which have fallen in and died...so much easier for them to use the pond..but I hate to see the lizards at the bottom of the pool, adults or the babes...We have the same doves returning every year to nest...some of the more immature ones build their nests at eye level, and sit so still in the nests..whoever visits has orders not to look at them..because the birds will think they are well camouflaged ? and we cannot see them...so far nothing has been disturbed [ was concerned about cats] except one day a very large hawk got very upset with me because I waved him off when a mother bird was taking off from her nest in one of our climbing roses [ on a trellis] and the hawk flew down and would have taken the babies but I stopped him..within a few minutes I was just standing and saw a huge shadow over my head..it was the bird returning to attack me..its legs were outstretched and its claws [ talons?] were poised ready to grab at my head? I surely got a fright...it was only inches above me..I could only wave him off but he really scared me silly...and so big...a very large wing span...I never forgot that..made me panic a little...

El Cajon, CA(Zone 10a)

send us some rain John plleeaasseee !!! :›(

Gordonville, TX(Zone 7b)

I am only able to observe and complain about the weather.

El Cajon, CA(Zone 10a)

Oh you disappoint me thought you could do better than that John....:›) - --- ----
Earthwormlover...been checking that adorable pic again...baby possum.. couldn't you just give him a cuddle... I know you would lose your fingers !!!!!

Marion, Are you sure it was a hawk that was dive bombing you!

Please everyone! Do a rain dance for me!

Frederick, MD

That baby possum is a big boy now and free. We turned him loose as soon as was possible. I never intended to try and keep him, although it was so tempting.
I don't know how to post the link for that thread. I think you can just click on my name and then choose "threads this member has started". I guess I could do that to my own name, but I want you to learn how, this is the only trick I know :)

Okay Equilibrium, you will hate me now. You thought you might like me, but you are wrong. I am one of those people with outdoor cats. I do get them in at night, they usually don't actually kill a frog, they just bring it to me and I put it back in the water. I understand how you feel about me, it's a philosophical difference I suppose. I have never been able to bring myself to keep a cat indoors. Just can't do it. I have talked to my neighbors, none of them have a complaint about the cat they are willing to share. Derby, my garden cat, appears in my threads. She is the only one who is capable of catching anything and she is successful about 6 or 8 times each year. I can't imagine gardening without her. Some of those catches are moles. Which is nice because I can't bring myself to do anything about them.

El Cajon, CA(Zone 10a)

We have many many hawks here Lauren,,the red tailed hawk and the speckled...they are constantly soaring overhead watching their 'targets' especially in the springtime when other birds have their babies..it is amazing when they are flying overhead as they create quite a shadow on the ground so we know when they are up there without even seeing them.....We marvel at the little birds ''dive bombing'' them, tiny little birds trying to chase the hawks away..trying to protect their nests.. They attack the smaller birds a lot..especially the doves, which seems to be their favourites..the doves are slow tho' [ nothing worse than having an early morning stroll and finding piles of feathers and wings]...we know it is them...feathers almost neatly arranged as they pluck them out..and even worse is to watch them do it...I guess the motto is you just shouldn't fool with mother nature in that kind of situation..and I know that hawks have their offspring to feed...but I just could not stand by and watch her raid that nest...[ amazing the voracity of it tho]..
Another problem around here is that a very large flock of crows have taken over one of our cedar trees...they used to be at the back of us..[4 acres back there] until the son got a motorbike [ugh] and we now have them in our back yard...they have chased the other birds away..we used to have loads of blue jays, it was such a pleasure to sit and watch them taking their early morning dips in the bird bath..and they loved those peanuts...now I hardly see one, just have to listen to those crows screeching...

El Cajon, CA(Zone 10a)

Earthwormlover I will check out your threads, I really have found it so much fun getting to know people this way...will get back with you after I have read...
One thing I wanted to ask [ for some reason crows reminded me of 'dislikes'] along with the crows are the bats which come out in the evening...Had a bit of a scare a few years ago when they were finding dead ones with rabies...I have always been repulsed by bats..and long before the Dracula movies..I remember seeing them as a child and being terrified of them...[ couldn't pull THEIR legs off tho, would not have even tried] :›(((

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.