Companion planting for tomatoes

(Carole) Cleveland, TX(Zone 9a)

I'm planning my garden for next year, and desperately want to be successful growing tomatoes. I have heard that Marigolds and Garlic planted near tomatoes will help keep the aphids off. Every year I've had my tomatoes attacked by them, and hate resorting to Sevin Dust if I can grow something near them to help.

(Hopefully I've not bit off on a myth...)
Very new to veggie gardening...
~ Carole

Efland, NC(Zone 7a)

Carole...

I seldom "companion plant" for tomatoes. I used to though but just don't see the need for it. If you have aphids a spray of water should do the trick, back to back sprays would do you justice. If not, a soap spray will certainly do you justice.

Should you want to interplant then I'd suggest basil, every other plant in the row. Those will go in the ground when you set out your tomato plants. ('Tis also great for when you pick some maters you then have your basil handy to put some leaves in your salad, or on your grilled cheese and mater sammich w/fresh basil...and dijon mustard. Yummy!)

Oh Yum! Horseshoe! Thanks!!!
I think I might just do that with the herbs, and even the garlic just for culinary reasons. And I think I might have found some 'vanilla' marigold seeds, so I'll plant them in for asthetics :-)

Appreciate your help!
~ Carole

Carmel, NY(Zone 6b)

I has a terrible time with soap spray this past season. Don't know if I used too much, or if it was just so darned wet here this year that the leaves of the tomaotes never really dried and developed a fungus. Worst part is, the plants all suffered, and I never did get rid of my whiteflies. I'm going to try sticky tape next time around.

Long Beach, CA(Zone 10b)

Diamtomaceous Earth in a Hudson sprayer mixed with water will work when plain water doesn't or you are to lazy to spray them very often with plain water. It is a natural mineral and poses no harm to fruit or you when you wash and eat.

As for companion planting, I haven't yet seen any remarkable differences planting marigolds, garlic or basil altho I will keep doing it for aesthetics probably. Someone wrote in another forum months ago that the newer hybrid marigolds do not have a scent and I wonder if they do not smell bad enough to the bugs if they don't smell for us!

One other note on the basil- we keep basil between every plant and my French friend taught me that when it goes to bloom not to throw away the bloom stalk but throw it in the salad and it is very good!

Mirpur (A.K), Pakistan(Zone 9b)

I want to sow seeds of tomatoes, is there any body who tell me when to sow these seeds?

I'm glad to hear that the soap spray is really the best way to deter or 'cleanse' the aphids from the tomatoes. Here in Texas, if you really want tomatoes, you have to be out there every day to water anyway... So it'd be no big deal to shoot the sprayer on the tomatoes daily.

And I had wondered about the scent on the newer Marigolds. My dad had used them in his garden, along with the garlic, in the early 70s and as I remember, never had real problems with his tomatoes. Of course he was also diligent about watering and had BIG crops of LARGE RED DELICIOUS tomatoes (mmmm can almost still taste them!)

I am really looking forward to growing the basil between the plants next year. And as for the blooms, I pick them off all my herbs for salad or tea. Wonderful stuff!!

As far as when to plant them, most people start them indoors 4-6 weeks before the last expected frost date for their area. Not yet successful with the seed method, so instead I go to the feed store and pick out 3 or 4 very healthy looking plants instead and bring them home. This method works pretty well for me :-) (told you I was a newbie!)

~ Carole

Augusta, GA(Zone 8a)

Gum la: I don't know your climate. For those of us who have freezing temps, the seeds are sown indoors about 6 weeks before our last frost date, then transplanted to the garden after frost danger is past. In warmer climates, like Florida, tomatoes are grown in the winter. They are sometimes but rarely direct sown. Most of us will start them in pots/ seedling trays and transplant.

Mirpur (A.K), Pakistan(Zone 9b)

Farmerdill
Thank you, here we have temperature minimum zero degree celsius in winters. I will sow these seeds with other flowering plant seeds indoor.

Nauvoo, AL(Zone 7a)

i didnt read all the post so if i repeat someone forgive me.
Marigolds are excellent for keeping white flies away. Put 4 to 5 French Marigolds around each plant. It has to be French-----they are stronger in fragrance.

cricket

Carmel, NY(Zone 6b)

Pick up a copy of Carrots Love Tomatoes...it's a great companion planting guide, full of tips and fun to read.

Cricket - that's the best peice of info I've gotten since I joined! I was almost wiped-out by whiteflies this year and had no idea French Marigold would do the trick! Next year...watch out! This place is going to be French Marigold heaven!

Oh Great! Thanks guys! I'm off to look for the book now.
(And I'm so glad I am growing the French Marigolds this year; now I will have seed for next spring. yea!)

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.