Hurricane Ivan (Hope not Ivan the Terrible) - PART 3

Panhandle, FL(Zone 8a)

Judith, surely you jest? I have had enough now.
edited to say: Floridian...you up feeding those babies????/

This message was edited Sep 16, 2004 2:47 AM

Prattville, AL(Zone 8a)

power back on for now......winds picked up 40 + now and getting stronger...not sure how long we'll keep power....

tornadoes popping up every where got the little ones tucked in the hall way sung as lil' bugs right now...

praying for everyones safty and asking for prayers for ours too

hugs & prayers,carol

Tallahassee, FL(Zone 8b)

What else would gardeners do to ride out a storm but talk plants?

Panhandle, FL(Zone 8a)

Right on Judith, so Daisy, want a nana with that abutilon?

Long Beach, CA(Zone 10b)

I just saw your post, Judith!!

You are just as bad LOL!!

Loadsa hugs, Dixie and all.

Panhandle, FL(Zone 8a)

Dixie.....hoping you are safe as it passes your way.

Moose Jaw, SK(Zone 3b)

daisy ..... just some of the rain and without the wind. ;)

Weeds have you had a lot of rain?

Judith I really don't think you want plants that way......besides you in turn will be sharing your yard with everyone else in town.

Prattville, AL(Zone 8a)

Ivan is havin his way with Bama right now....winds ripping roofs off and

Long Beach, CA(Zone 10b)

Judith- I just talked to Ponds- she says 'hi' and will try to call you when she gets home, okay?

She's thinking of all of ya'll!

Panhandle, FL(Zone 8a)

Hey...no not really, it has rained off and on since this afternoon but not the torrential downpours I expected.
And with that, I am going to sleep.....ivan has worn me down. Ya'll be good!

Moose Jaw, SK(Zone 3b)

Sweet dreams weeds!! Good luck to you one and all!!!!!!!!!!!

Laurel, DE(Zone 7a)

Relieved to see all of you who are still able to post have weathered this monster. Hope this morning finds everyone well and minimal damage. Guess many have spent a very long, frightful night and need today to rest and recuperate. God Bless everyone.
Candee

Brewers, KY(Zone 6b)

looking forward to hearing from my friends this a.m.

Fort Pierce, FL(Zone 10a)

Waiting and hopeing for good news. jmLISA, how did you do?
Pati

Nauvoo, AL(Zone 7a)

gee-------glad to see some of yall made it through the night. I am still sleepy but my little one is up which means i have to get up too. I bet some of you will sleep over half the day. coffee time

cricket

Panhandle, FL(Zone 8a)

I am up and sheesh this thing is still going, I am going out to see what is going on....my windows are still in and the roof is still on...be back in a sec

Crossville, TN

I have been following this thread...all of you in harms way have been in my thoughts and prayers! Love & Hugs to each of you. Jo

Moose Jaw, SK(Zone 3b)

Good to see you posting weeds!! Hope everyone is doing ok and will be posting ASAP!

Benton, KY(Zone 7a)

Just checking in to see who was around. Hopefull all came through with minimal damage and stress.

So.App.Mtns., United States(Zone 5b)

Jean (LouisianaSweetPea) is back home from evacuation... I just had a short email. Didn't say about any damage and I'm sure she will be posting here soon. She was off to call Lisa.

Weeds, that's a VERY LONG "sec"... what's going on?

Lutz, FL(Zone 9b)

She's fine, I just talked to her...she's fielding calls from people and checking on her things and neighbors homes. I'm sure she'll be along shortly

Gulfport, MS(Zone 8a)

We made it as far as my mom and dads, lol..which is only about 4 miles from me. After watching the last update, it didnt make any sense to go any further.
We had power blink there but fared VERY well. Woke up to no damage, just a tree limb here and there.
On my way home i noticed 1 house had a tree on it, another had the metal roof peeled, but for the most part our area did well.....we dodged the bullet.
I worry about our friends to the east.
Janet went to Bogalousa and i'm really afraid that her and donnab had extensive damage.
I'm at home now in a mobile home with electric and phone.
Hope every one starts posting soon.
Jen

Panhandle, FL(Zone 8a)

Hey ya'll and bonnie good morning to you all!
All is well here.....in this hood anyway..only a few trees down in the neighbor's yard, no power lines down in the immediate area. Wind is still blowing 90 miles an hour it seems so I didn't make it far and raining too. Had to check in with neighbors that fled, I am the keeper of the hood it seems. We still have some tornadoes happening but not right here.

Never lost power...what a miracle. Stuff and debris all over, one trellis down, didn't like it anyway. Plants look like they have been through a hurricane, all whop sided and laying about but they will live! Some cuttings lying about on the ground, hint hint lilypon and daisy. I will go out when the wind dies down and really see what happened.

I think Larkie is in an area getting tornadoes and heavy winds....I hope she checks in soon. I am sure PC beach is destroyed...that beautiful sand wil all be gone to some other area. There is still a curfew in effect so I will be hanging around on the puter most of the day.

Whew, I feel so lucky and I thank ALL of you for your comfort, prayers and thoughts. It means more than you can imagine to have your friends with you when such as this happens, makes it much less scary. Ya'll are just the bestest!!!!
Connie

Brewers, KY(Zone 6b)

hi all,
we made out like a charm. A little bit of gusty winds, a few small branches in the yard and nearly NO rain at all!

today I am catching up on homeschooling..the letter of the day? "H"..."H" is for hurricane...LOL..."T" is for thank you Lord!

Thanks for the update, Connie! I'm glad you came through it with nothing more than you described, and I'll be glad when more have checked in...

I've started a new thread for Hurricane Jeanne: http://davesgarden.com/forums/t/457095/

Edited to add that even hundreds of miles north/east of Ivan, we are already getting occasional bands of some light winds and rain showers, and in between, a slow steady very light rain.

This message was edited Sep 16, 2004 10:13 AM

Nauvoo, AL(Zone 7a)

My new tenants who rented a trailer from me, who are from tamapa fl area and lost their rental home there has taped up allllll the windows in this trailer. They are very ready for gusty winds. And here I sit 80 ft away from them---thinking------i am not taping my windows. I have very gusty winds 40-50mph right now. My scarry thought is that I live on a small hill that has 8 very large oak trees in the front yard.
It is quit interesting. One minute everything is fine, the next minute it sounds like everything in the front yard is flying into other objects----makes ya jump up to see what it was. I should loose 10 lbs or so during this storm.
By the time the eye gets here it will be declined to a tropical depression.

cricket

Fort Pierce, FL(Zone 10a)

This is a quote from an E-mail posted to my geneaology group, FYI

"Power has flashed several times a moment ago, and trees are already down in
surrounding towns. Trees are down on houses in Birmingham already on the
south and southeast suburbs. And to the east of us there are homes damaged
by trees down on them in Sylacauga. Considering that the eye of Ivan the
Tyrant is still in south Alabama and a long way from here, I'm finally
starting to believe that this is going to be a very BAD one! The tornados
spawning from it all look like they could be the very worst part of it.
Predicting up to 30 tornados here in Alabama later today."

Pati

Fountain, FL(Zone 8a)

alls well here in fountain...still blowing..curfew at least until noon,if not longer.

New Iberia, LA(Zone 9a)

Just got news.... about I10 bridge in Florida have been washed out..

here's the message....

You can't drive across Florida's Escambia Bay on I-10 because the bridge is washed out.

Hurricane Ivan has destroyed a quarter-mile section of the eastbound section of the bridge.

The concrete was pushed up and is now partially in the water.

The westbound section is still standing, but is damaged.

The alternate route would be US Highway 90, which also crosses the bay north of the I-10 bridge.

Gordonville, TX(Zone 7b)

Is it ok to say the worst is over?

Moab, UT(Zone 6b)

They just said I-10 where it bridges across Escambia bay from Pensacola to Milton has collapsed.. ooops

anyone with word from Rylaff?

Panhandle, FL(Zone 8a)

wow mini....I had not heard that.

I just went out and tried to walk around the block a little and that wind is really whipping and things blowing about....the police stopped me right in front of my house and told me to go home! There is a curfew and I guess they mean it!
PC and PC beach have a lot of destruction, trees down, power lines down, the usual hurricane mess.
I live 6 blocks from North bay and the policeman said the water was up to 3rd or 4th street but is starting to subside. I was heading that way when he stopped me. I can see the bay from my driveway and it is obvious the water is up.
I wonder how rylaff is?
RYLafF, are you there??
Did you get damage?
I know all the peeps in it's path are getting the brunt of it now, hang in there all of you!

There is a photo of the I-10 bridge collapse here: http://www.gulfcoastgateway.com/
Link may take you to main page, but the story is easily found in bold type.

Also from the newspaper above:

Quoting:
All major roads leading into Escambia County from Florida have suffered major damage causing a delay in getting 1,000 Army National Guardsmen and additional support help into the area. The I-10 bridge connecting Santa Rosa and Escambia and US 90 between the counties are closed because of storm damage.
http://www.pensacolanewsjournal.com/blogs/stormteam/

Panhandle, FL(Zone 8a)

Here is a link to the Panama City NewsHerald...

http://e.thetimesnews.com/Daily/Skins/TheTribune2/navigator.asp?BP=OK&GZ=T

Gordonville, TX(Zone 7b)

I need a password, silly!

Denton, TX(Zone 7a)

Has anyone heard from anyone in Pensacola/Destin? I am worried about them all! That is my hometown...

Panhandle, FL(Zone 8a)

Hey John! Try this...no password needed today because no paper delivery so go here and click on access paper...

http://www.newsherald.com/

weeds, that link requires a password but this one doesn't seem to: http://www.newsherald.com/index.shtml
Interesting photos in the Photo Gallery. Y'all got lucky!

Panhandle, FL(Zone 8a)

Boy don't I know it! I just happy as a lark today but worried about all our dg peeps just getting it now.

Melvatoo, I didn;t know that! There is lots of damage that way and rylaff lives there so maybe she will check in soon if she has power. My cousin lives in Pcola but is without power so I have no news from there yet.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.