Painted lady runner bean

(Taylor) Plano, TX(Zone 8a)

No, you and Laurrie already sent me seeds, so I will send them to you both, directly, as part of my end of our trades.
Thanks for posting, and I'll try to mail out today, with other trades.
-T

Vancleave, MS(Zone 8b)

I can't wait. (((Thanks Taylor)))

Plano, TX(Zone 8a)

Thanks for remembering me, Taylor! Send me your address, please.
Terrie

Fort Dodge, IA(Zone 4b)

seedpicker_tx
did you get the "sunset" runner bean seeds from a catalog? thanks for the links for the "painted lady", but they don't seem to have the "sunset"....anyone else know where to get them? I grew Scarlet runners this year and they look great on a trellis arch over my backyard path. Would like to get some other colors, such as these two.

Vancleave, MS(Zone 8b)

(((Thanks))) Taylor I got the seeds today. Very nice selection

Iowa-I got the 'sunset' from Thompson & Morgan last year. They are not in the decorative vine section, they are in the vegetable(bean) section. You get a lot for very little.
If they ever move them to the "decorative vine" section, they'll be a lot more expensive, and only get a few seeds! lol...
-T

Fort Dodge, IA(Zone 4b)

Thanks for the info!

Tremont, IL(Zone 5b)

Could this plant also be called a hardy sweet pea? I bought one at the hosta society member plant sale a few years ago & the flowers look similar to sweet peas, but it comes back each year. I have a trellis it climbs up.
Jan

Hi Jan-

They are similar, but I think what you have is lathyrus latifolius.
Here is the DG database link for lathyrus latifolius:
http://davesgarden.com/pf/go/674/index.html

Sweet peas and runner beans are both climbing legumes, in the same general family, and have many similarities, but they are also quite different.

Is the lathyrus latifolius what you have?

-T

Schwenksville, PA(Zone 6a)

Seedpicker...I finally got around to making some cards with the seed pods as the butterfly bodies. I think they are a perfect match!!!

Thumbnail by designart

Butterfly grouping

Thumbnail by designart

LOVE IT! LOVE IT! LOVE IT!
Are the wings the flowers from the runner bean, too?
-T

The wings are made with French Marigolds. I'm sure the African Marigolds would work fine too. They are kind of cute!

Plano, TX(Zone 8a)

So pretty! You are very talented!

Winnipeg, MB(Zone 4a)

Secludedgardens, I luv your cards!!! Do you sell them? How do you do them?
:) Donna

Thank you trunnels, I enjoy making the cards. Yes, I do sell the cards. You can check them out on my website...secludedgardens.com I use Elmers glue to glue the plant material to the cards. Other people also use rubber cement, but I find that very difficult to get the effect I want. I do think the rubber cement is quicker than using Elmers.

Winnipeg, MB(Zone 4a)

Thanks for your link. I'll be checking it out.

Winnipeg, MB(Zone 4a)

SeedPicker, I don't know why you don't luv those beans....the color is gorgeous.

Boulder Creek, CA(Zone 9a)

I like the red one that started this thread! If only it came in orange or orange/red/ or yellow/orange. Like ORANGE! Any seeds left maybe? DO 2nd trade!

Stockton, CA(Zone 9a)

Vermont bean company sells the sunset runner beans for $1.85 an ounce if you don't want the larger qty from T&M. But they do not have a very high rating in Garden Watchdog.
https://www.vermontbean.com/vbsite/vbsitebrowse.aspx?category=1014

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.