Propagating Dogwood?

Bradford, PA(Zone 5a)

What is the best way to do this? I've read of several ways, I've also heard it is very hard to do. How long does it take to grow from seed? Thanks

Efland, NC(Zone 7a)

Pyrola...I really couldn't say, I've never started them from seed.

We have so many that grow wild here they seem to just pop outta the ground. (Perhaps I should try digging up some of the smaller sprouts and pot them up, eh?)

Maybe you can get a more informed response from some of the folks over in the Trees and Shrubs Forum.

http://davesgarden.com/forums/f/tas/

Cynthiana, KY(Zone 6a)

Pyrola5 if you find out something please let me know. I am planting 10 White flowering Dogwood seed and 15 Pink Kousa Dogwoods this spring. Already have the seed in hand! If nothing else I might (big if) know something more about that next spring.

Park Hill, OK(Zone 6b)

Hey Guys,
I hope this helps,
Dogwood (white and kousa) seed take 120 days of cold stratifacation at temps 37-41 degrees.
Fall gather seed remove pulp by hand, or machine if you happen to have one.
Wash seed throughly and dry throughly if not within 120 days from your projected planting date.
Store dried seed in ziplock bags in the fridge. If the bags shows sweating inside, re-dry seed.
When you reach the date 120 days before your projected plant date remove seed from fridge and begin the cold moist statifacation.
This involves peatmoss water and your seed. First seed / peat should be 50% each by volume, if you have a coffee cup of seed you will need a coffee cup of peatmoss.
Soak peatmoss for 24 hours to throughly hydrate. Next squeeze out most of the water from the peatmoss, you know it is correct when you squeeze a handful about as hard as you can and water barely emerges between your fingers.
Next wet the seed and drain off all excess water. Mix seed and peatmoss together store in a ziplock bag and place in the fridge for 120 days.
Seed will begin to crack open about then. Plant several seed in each pot and "good growing"

Efland, NC(Zone 7a)

Great info....thanks ICTREES!

Haven't seen you post much (maybe I"ve been in different forums than you). However, WELCOME TO DG!

Hope to see you around!

Ewing, KY(Zone 6a)

Here is a thread by Dave with a picture. I thought he had another one about how he did it but I couldn't find it. http://davesgarden.com/forums/t/176102/

Cynthiana, KY(Zone 6a)

WOW great information!!! Thanks people.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.