Purple Fountain Grass Seeds

(Carole) Cleveland, TX(Zone 9a)

My next door neighbor has several of these and when I saw some "feathers" on the ground, he said 'take them. I think they are the seeds. Help yourself!'

Ok NOW what?

Westbrook, ME(Zone 5a)

I hate to tell you this but the purple fountain grass seeds are sterile. The seeds won't germinate.

(Carole) Cleveland, TX(Zone 9a)

No, that's fine, Poppysue... I'd rather know than anticipate and get nothing.
It sure would have been wise of me to check PDB before I made my post (blush, smile).

Now I'm wondering if even a division will work in my zone. I've never known anyone who had it here and had it come back.

Anyone in Zone 8 successful with them overwintering?

south of Grand Rapid, MI(Zone 5a)

gotta a question here; If the seeds are sterile, how did it come about in the first place? Is this the chicken/egg thing? I did overwinter mine in zone 5 - brought it in and babied it all winter. One of three made it - it's gorgeous now. Soon will be time to bring it in again.

Bryson, QC(Zone 4a)

Sarv48 these will work inside as well?
For where I live they will not hold out forsure. Did you do anything special when they were inside or just usual watering & feeding?
Ingrid

south of Grand Rapid, MI(Zone 5a)

paridise - I dug them up, whacked them off and potted them up. I cut the clump up so had three pots. Only one made it, but it is gorgeous. I kept them underlights, watering when dry. They looked like they were dead at first, but sent up new growth. Good luck.

Bryson, QC(Zone 4a)

Sarv 48 , Thank-You..
I will bring them in- I just love the look of them and it will definetely give a different visual effect to a room in the house.

Blessings, Ingrid

Bellaire, MI(Zone 5a)

I planted some seed and grew a beautiful clump this year. I just collected seed from it.....how does the seed I planted become fertile? I just trying to understand this. Help

Camilla, GA(Zone 8a)

It doesn't survive here in GA for me..I just buy as annuals each year..The seeds are sterile..I throw all mine into the compost and never nary a one has sprouted..., lol..

Larkie

San Jose, CA(Zone 9b)

So glad I caught this thread. I didn't know the seeds were sterile (thanks Poppysue!) and I didn't want milliions of volunteers next year, so I've been trying to keep up with the deadheading. Glad to know I can relax now...

Forestville, CA(Zone 9a)

There are 120 species of Pennisetum and most of them will reseed. The one called Purple Fountain Grass is Pennisetum Setaceum Rubrum. If you purchase Purple Fountain Grass make sure it ends with Rubrum and your plant will be sterile. If your Fountain Grass reseeds it is not Pennisetum Setaceum Rubrum. George

San Jose, CA(Zone 9b)

Good to know, George. I'm still looking for my plant marker, but I don't think I have the Rubrum. I did check around my fountain grass where some of the seeds have fallen and there were some seedlings. They look different than regular grass seedlings - the blades are thicker. I recall now that I had some last year in the same area, too. Oh well, I 'll just have to keep on them. This is a great looking plant worth the small trouble it gives me.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.