Clarification please - coleus cuttings!

Kirksville, MO(Zone 5a)

Hello:
I went overboard buying coleus this year, and I want to keeps my plants over the winter. Did I read this correctly? Info on this forum says I can root a coleus cutting directly in potting soil?

Or, do I put the cutting in water first to root it? My cats keep knocking over my cuttings that I have placed in water near my kitchen window! Can I use those solo plastic cups full of perlite and water - or should I just stick them in potting soil outside? With either method, do I need to cover with plastic to capture moisture?

Thanks bunches,
Kim

Brentwood, CA(Zone 9a)

Kim:

Water works fine-Remove all the large leaves-leaving the tip growth-will root in a week or less.

Start cuttings in vermiculite cover them with a preserving jar or polyethlene bag until they have formed roots. ( trim large leaves back one half before planting your cutting. Must have humidity to support cutting till roots can support the new plant.

You can tell roots are formed when new growth appearson your cutting.

Seattle, WA(Zone 8b)

You can root them in potting soil too....but not outside if temps are cool.
The warmer they are the faster they will root.

(Carole) Cleveland, TX(Zone 9a)

I rooted mine indoors in a glass in the window, but if you are having trouble with your cat knocking them over, consider maybe putting them in some sort of macrame hanger or otherwise find a way to hang your rooting container.

Just a thought (or two ;-)
~ Carole

Moose Jaw, SK(Zone 3b)

At the end of the year I've hacked the whole plant up to root but was wondering with a younger plant where people take their cuttings from (I'm tempted to take off the lead growth......hoping this will also make the plant branch out more).

Raleigh, NC(Zone 7b)

If you go to coleus forum, I did a whole " how to " on coleus cuttings with pictures, that might help

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.