I happened upon this plant in my yard...

Lamar, AR(Zone 7a)

I was cleaning out some mucky clay near the foundation of my house. I moved the soil far away from the house near the edge of the woods. A few weeks later I noticed a bright color at the edge of the woods. I was shocked, as I had not planted anything there. Upon closer inspection It had a very cheerful display of purplish/violet flowers on a shrub type plant. I looked closer and found gazillion of black round seeds. Very obvious display of seeds. So I grabbed a handful of the seeds and went on my way. I asked my finacee if he knew anything about the plant. He said that many years ago (10+!!) that type of plant was at the foundation of the house, where I had cleared out the clay soil. (He didn't know what the plant was, only remember it growing beneath the bedroom window).

This morning I was looking at yesterday's Newsletter and guess what I found!! I picture of those black seeds taken by Floridian. http://davesgarden.com/pdb/showimage/24681/ It was actually CaptMicha's picture (with the standard poodle in the foreground) which caught my attention. Thanks a bunch Capt!

I was quite tickled to make my own ID!! Woot! Can I call myself a "real" gardener now? LOL

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.