Tree Peonies

New Madison, OH(Zone 5a)

Has anyone ever grown tree peonies from seed? If so...when should I plant...and how long will it take?

Atascadero, CA(Zone 8a)

Marcy 1 . . .I bought a tuber? bulb? last year and planted it and It quickly put out two or three leaves and has sat there for a year now looking exactly the same...Do you have experience with them?. . what makes them happy?? I figured I'd have a 'tree' by now, even if it was a little tree ( I can't even call it a bush) ... LOL. Janet

New Madison, OH(Zone 5a)

Hey Janet....
Ya know...I just bought two tree peonies this past spring myself and planted them. I am not even sure they are alive now. They lost their leaves...but look like they have new buds? I guess time will tell!

Oostburg, WI(Zone 5b)

I've read that most tree peonies are grafted to the roots of herbaceous peonies because they are more vigorous. Maybe a search would turn up some info. Some of them only get to be shrub size.

Lawrenceville, PA(Zone 5b)

Kooger is right, all tree peonies that I have ever seen are grafted. If grown from seed, you might have a similar plant, but I'm sure the form would be different, and would likely be very slow growing.

We planted five last year, only one of them (the biggest one) has bloomed. I've read that they do well from full sun to light shade, but hold their blooms longer out of direct sun.

Like you, our others have thrown out some leaves and then did nothing else all season. Even though planted in early May, one of them sat dormant until late July.

Gorgeous, aren't they?? :-)

Thumbnail by lego_brickster
Atascadero, CA(Zone 8a)

Well, I don't old out much hope for this one doing much. . that's what you get buying it at one of the big stores. . but I didn't spend much and it was pretty much an experiment. . liked the idea of getting beautiful flowers like yours lego_brickster on a bush. Those are gorgeous. I'll do some research and see if I can come up with anything. Janet

New Madison, OH(Zone 5a)

Hi everyone..thanks all for the information.
And Lego....those are just beautiful!!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.