Sedums in my Garden

Moab, UT(Zone 6b)

These are wonderful carefree plants. I like my Sedum Spectibile, it blooms ahead of the 'Autumn Joy" so I get to enjoy it longer. In fact the shade over the AJ has increased so much that I'm not sure it'll finish blooming before killing frost.

Thumbnail by BloomsWithaView
Moab, UT(Zone 6b)

This is Ruby Glow, she's been blooming for almost a month now. Brightens her corner of the garden.

Moab, UT(Zone 6b)

And over in the south border is Vera Jamieson, she splays out from the middle but blooms beautifully - and I could support her I guess.

Moab, UT(Zone 6b)

These are my little ground cover sedums, not in bloom right now but in June these little white flowers pepper the peanut leafed plants.

Lewisburg, KY(Zone 6a)

Can you really start these from cutting and then put them directly in the soil?
A couple of varieties that I would like to try.

North Vancouver, BC(Zone 8a)

this is mine

Thumbnail by Roselaine
Moab, UT(Zone 6b)

There's a thread to that affect somewhere. I'm sure gonna try it on mine. They say just stick the stems in the ground. okeedokee.

There's some others I'd like to add. New sedum spectibiles in brighter colors - some as got 'em. show them to us.

Bay City, MI(Zone 6a)

some of mine

Thumbnail by notmartha
Moab, UT(Zone 6b)

Roselaine, what a beautiful setting you have there. The whole border looks so nice.
notMartha, A tall white one! I'm so ignorant sometimes. Thought the tall ones came in shades of pink/to/orange. Show some more folks.

Pleasant Grove, UT(Zone 6a)

Yes, more pics please!! I just "discovered" sedum over on the Favorite Perennials thread and I can't believe I've never seen (noticed) these before! They're so lovely!

Muscoda, WI(Zone 4b)

Blooms & Not Martha...those are beautiful plants. I can't wait to see what the cuttings I got from Wanda are going to do. And Yep! She said "just stick 'em in the ground, water them ONCE, and leave them alone!" Wanda warned me that if I watered them more often, they'd rot. So far they're all still standing (even tho DH *did* water them once after I planted..:-D He was trying to help! Just like when he yanked a big chunk of my Shasta 'Becky' while saying..."just let me get a few of these weeds out from under here." :-O )

~julie~

Lewisburg, KY(Zone 6a)

Is the white one Frosty Morn? I have a variegated one that has white blooms.
My MIL did know the name. It is shorter than my Autumn Joy.

Seward, AK(Zone 3b)

I got a start of Frosty Morn from a DG member, and although it isn't really hardy in my zone, I mulched it and it returned this season. It has been the glory of my rock bordered bed.

Thumbnail by Weezingreens
Moab, UT(Zone 6b)

Weezin', I'm beginning to think Seward may be the garden capitol of Alaska. The light in that picture makes the whole thing look like a fairy garden. That Frosty Morn is a wowser. The rest of what's showing is pretty too. ~Blooms

Lewisburg, KY(Zone 6a)

Alaska, that must be a gardening challenge! I love so many things that are tropical. Do you have a greenhouse?
Teresa in KY

Muscoda, WI(Zone 4b)

Carol...that's a beautiful spot in your garden! And I love your combinations there.

~julie~

crossville, TN(Zone 7a)

I got a cutting from a DG friend and just stuck the piece in the ground and it took off and is now blooming!! They are wonderful plants!

Tina

Seward, AK(Zone 3b)

Gardening is a challenge here, but I'm sure it is a challenge everywhere. You just have to learn what does well and what doesn't, and every once in awhile you have to remind yourself again! I can grow the sedums that like moisture and don't mind cool temps. We have a short season, but long days, so when it's sunny, they are happy.

Yes, I have two greenhouses. My smallest one has been a mainstay for years. I start up the oil heater by April 1st when I start hauling seedlings from the basement to the greenhouse. Seedlings can't be set out safely until June 1.

Frosty Morn is one of my absolute favorites. Growing next to it is Lychnis arkwrightii 'Vesuvius', and the dark red flowers & foliage are beautiful with Frosty Morn.

Most of my sedum are the short types, except, of course, Autumn Joy, which grows in almost every garden in Seward.

Lewisburg, KY(Zone 6a)

I can see why it is a favorite, my color is not as intense.

Seward, AK(Zone 3b)

Our sedums usually have some lovely color... I think it is the cool weather. This one is Blaze of Fulda.

Washington, DC(Zone 7a)

What a joy to look at all your pictures. Most of my sedums don't get enough sun, since my garden in turning more and more into a shade garden. Whenever a stem breaks off due to parting or careless garden visitors (from husband to animals) I put them into a vase with water and display them as bouquets in the house. And you can count on them to root--every time. I actually hate this, because now I have a living plant and nowhere to put it. I have about 4 varieties and mostly plain old autumn joy, and I just cannot find enough neighbors to give them away. LOL

Seward, AK(Zone 3b)

Yes! I have the same problem with shady spots. My yard is ringed with an embankment on three sides. The embankment has lots of old-growth alders and elderberry. I like to leave all this because it affords privacy from the road and keeps the dust out. Consequently, each year, I have to go out and cut back the trees and shrubs to let in some light. Most of my yard only gets half day sun... fortunately, our days are pretty long!

I have been expanding my varieties of sedum by growing them from seed or trading for cuttings. Starting them from seed seems silly considering they root so easily, but I wanted to see if I could do it. So, now I have many flats of sedum I started from seed. If they survive winter, I'll be swimming in sedum! LOL!

This is a sedum that was sent to me. It was labeled 'pale sedum', but I think that was just a description. It grows much like Autumn Joy, but the stems are sturdier (it didn't flop). The flowers had not opened by fall, but suggested a light pink. I realize there are several types of S. spectibile. Perhaps it is like the one Blooms posted.

Moab, UT(Zone 6b)

Yep, there is a clear difference between the one that was labeled 'Spectibile' as though that was a name, and the AJoy, the joy tends toward a rustier pink.... Shade has grown up so much around Ajoy's garden area that it's only just showing color on most of the blooms... a couple are good -- means I'll have to move it in the spring, here in the desert, we don't remove shade if we've got it.... LOL.

Muscoda, WI(Zone 4b)

Hey Carol...you send some of those sedum seedlings my way...and I'll send some Coleus seedlings yours! :-) (OH! you should SEE the FIREWEED! Fantastic!) :-D

~julie~

Bay City, MI(Zone 6a)

heres another one

Thumbnail by notmartha
Moab, UT(Zone 6b)

Notmartha, that's a wonderful upright plant and a great picture. You've got the same red wagon as me. And is that a sunflower stalk in the foregroud?

Bay City, MI(Zone 6a)

yes its a sunflower-cept i cut all its leaves off so the sun could get to the sedum! I will take pics tomorrow I have a few others!

same kind different spot!

Thumbnail by notmartha
Seward, AK(Zone 3b)

Hey, Julie! So glad to hear the fireweed is doing well! Yes, coleus roots as well as sedum, doesn't it! Alas, coleus won't winter over here. It doesn't even do well outdoors in the summer. If you want some sedum starts, we could do some plant trading in the spring when I see what has survived.

That brings up a point... can Frosty Morn be started from stem cuttings? I'm thinking that the Frosty Morn and the spectabile will both have to be cut down for winter. Maybe someone can use them for rooting. I also have seiboldi.

Moab, UT(Zone 6b)

Weezin' is this first year with spectibile? Mine freeze to ground every winter... I leave em - they make great dried flowerheads in the garden. Cut them off in the spring and back they come. Carefree as that. You don't 'have' to root everything just 'cause you can. LOL

Muscoda, WI(Zone 4b)

Blooms, you sound just like my DH with that "Just because you *can*" comment. LOL
That's about what he said when he walked into *my* "room" this afternoon, and saw all the cuttings I have sitting around in there. TOO funny!

Carol...definitely keep me in mind for some of those sedum cuttings. And I'll definitely be around come spring and I'm hoping *I* have something to offer for a change. ;-)

~julie~

Seward, AK(Zone 3b)

Sounds good to me, Julie. I love spring trading. You're right, Blooms... I just hate to see it all die in the fall. Our early winters cut things down before they have a chance to dry and look charming in winter bouquets.

Decatur, GA(Zone 7a)

Notmartha, did I miss the name of yoursedum with the chartreuse leaves? It looks great! In the spring, I would love to trade with you. I have both "Carmen" and "neon" for trade. Sorry that I don't have pictures, but I'll try to dig some up.

Lewisburg, KY(Zone 6a)

Could you post pics of your too Pins?

Bay City, MI(Zone 6a)

Pins i have never kept track of the names but i would be glad to trade! :)

Here is one of my favz!
it was called something like medico

Thumbnail by notmartha
Muscoda, WI(Zone 4b)

Ooooo, notmartha...would that by any chance be MEDIOVARIEGATUM (sorry for the caps...I copied the text from my Park's confirmation that I just got :-)) If so, I'm SO glad I bought it! It's beautiful! How old is that plant?

~julie~

Decatur, GA(Zone 7a)

What a beautiful sedum! I'd love to have a start of that.

I don't have any pix of my sedums now because they are all turning brown and ratty. Next year I'll plan to have a bunch. For now, I'm trying to find some pix on the internet so I can borrow them (with credit) and show.

Bay City, MI(Zone 6a)

no its not MEDIOVARIEGATUM i have that and it a taller variety than this lil guy
is small I have had it 3yrs and it has a reddish tint around the leaves.

Muscoda, WI(Zone 4b)

Thanks NM...I'll have to look for that one. Very nice!
~julie~

Lewisburg, KY(Zone 6a)

Sedum is something I know little about. I do love the ones I have because they are so carefree. Spirit is one I found on the data base. I was bad and broke off a small piece while I was on vacation. It rooted quickly and has really spread. It is a low growing sedum.

Moab, UT(Zone 6b)

If 'rose rustling' for cuttings is acceptable why not sedum rustling? As I always told my kids: "Don't you get caught doing that!"
Have done the same sort of thing picking off seedheads at a wildflower showplace garden area in Vermont. I figured they'd ot miss a couple out of all those thousands. [it was lythrum and not available in seed packets cause it's a no-no plant in the east.]

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.