How do I keep Birds away from my sunflower seeds?

Spokane, WA(Zone 5b)

My sunflowers are just starting to go to seed, but aren't ready. Is there some nice method of doing this to keep the birds out of them? Cheesecloth maybe? Nylon stockings aren't wide enough for the large flower.

Karrie

(Zone 4a)

Gee! I thought Sunflower seeds were for the birds!

Taramark

Lewisburg, KY(Zone 6a)

It looks silly but if you want special ones to trade, you can cover them with cut up pantyhose. I only planted the big ones this year but I love the vanilla and dark red sunflowers!
Teresa

Spokane, WA(Zone 5b)

I don't have enough to share with the birds, lol! And I want to save to plant more next year.

"cut" nylong stocking? I'm trying to picture this. The flower is quite large.

San Diego, CA(Zone 10a)

tie up the legs and use the pantie part lol

Spokane, WA(Zone 5b)

lol! ok! That would work! I'm sure all the neighbors will think I've "lost it", but oh well!

I too would like to try some red ones. I will have these yellow ones, some white ones, and so all I have left to find are the red ones.

Lewisburg, KY(Zone 6a)

The deep red ones I had was small and looked great in cut flower arrangements. I plan on planting more next spring. I missed having them. I tried new things this year but I am going to add them on the list of must plant for next season.
Teresa

New York & Terrell, TX(Zone 8b)

Go to your nearest fabric/sewing center and tell them you want to buy some Tulle - pronounced as tool.

It's the kind of fabric they use for wedding vails, small party favors ... like those candy covered almonds.

I't's really quite cheap ya know, cuts real easy. So your dressing-up your sunflowers!

Use one or two layers; for best results use two layers.

Get going and get some! You also can buy it in different colors if you want to!

While you're there; pick up some Machine Quilting Finger Grips from the quilting secton.
Helps very much in seed removal!

You can also get these things at __wally world!__

HTH someone,
Robin ............................. Edited to explain further!!

This message was edited Sep 19, 2004 4:18 AM

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.