Red Torch Ginger Seeds

Keaau, HI(Zone 11)

FINALLY I have seen seed pods forming on some of the flowers... Can anyone tell me how to tell when they are ready to harvest..........and how to sow them?

Thanks

And, if successful, anybody want some?

Sand Springs, OK(Zone 7a)

i DO PLEASE
TAZZY

Keaau, HI(Zone 11)

OK, Tazzy...you got'em. Just gotta find out WHEN to harvest them and how to sow them.... :o}

New York & Terrell, TX(Zone 8b)

Hmmm.. sounds interesting, Alohahoya, can I get some? I will email you.

Keaau, HI(Zone 11)

Terrific. I am in Australia ast the moment....back in that other life next week....OH yes, and having a wonderful time!!!!

Seattle, WA(Zone 8b)

Oh I want some too please! What might you want in trade???

Pocola, OK(Zone 7a)

Having trouble identifying this one in PDB. Can you be a little more specific?

Try http://davesgarden.com/pdb/go/31505/index.html

Pictures of a red torch ginger can be seen at

- http://www.ibiblio.org/herbmed/pictures/p06/images/etlingera-elatior.jpg

- http://www.htffa.com/htffa/images/photos/large/a06.jpg

Edited to add URLs

This message was edited Oct 5, 2004 9:07 AM

Carmel, NY(Zone 6b)

Me, too! Let me know what you're interested in for trade.

Hmmm - looks like we haven't been very helpful to you. But we do appreciate beauty when we see it!

Keaau, HI(Zone 11)

Haven't checked the seeds yet...tomorrow for sure!!!

Franklin, LA(Zone 9b)

if you've got enough, i'll take some too!!
they're really pretty :)

Kim

Camilla, GA(Zone 8a)

I would love some if enough to share.

Larkie

Keaau, HI(Zone 11)

Checked on the seeds...still not dry (not even drying!!!!). Hope we don't get rain! When they start drying I will pick the pods and send them on...and you all can dry them there...OK?

Heck...just send an SelfAddressed Stamped envelope (First Class Mail should do it)...I will wrap the pods in bubble wrap.

P.O. Box 1359
Keaau, HI 96749

Pocola, OK(Zone 7a)

Are you sure you don't need to wait for them to completely dry? Especially since you are in HI, they would probably mold by the time they got to people on the mainland. When you do send them after they are dry, you might even want to wrap them in a paper towel to absorb any possible moisture to help prevent mold. Unless maybe this seed needs to remain moist? If not, it may even take them a couple of months to dry if they are very large. But then, I don't know anything about this kind of seed. Maybe someone else could tell us?

Good luck to you.

Columbia, SC(Zone 8a)

Aloha, I would love to try some of your seeds if you have more. PLMK LindaSC

Keaau, HI(Zone 11)

I agree with you, Cherishlife....but the pods are still very green. I had thought to harvest them when they start to dry...and send them out to dry en route. I brought back some pink torch ginger seed pods from Australia and am doing the same thing with them.

Our wx is dry at the moment....no rain to speak of (ugh) and we have a space under the roof that is VERY warm and dry where I dry seeds (and clothes!!).

Carol

Kingston, GA(Zone 7b)

Aloha, would you happen to have any seeds left to share? I would love to try this ginger. PLMK and thanks! :)

Greensburg, IN(Zone 6a)

me too PLEASE

hickory, NC(Zone 7a)

i would love some if any left thxs
moretz

Keaau, HI(Zone 11)

Hey guys....send me your addresses...we can worry about trades etc. when it happens...SASE too. I am not worried about that. But I don't want to leave everyone in the lurch when the seeds happen and I don't have addresses.

Thanks

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.