Bird Of Paradise

Mirpur (A.K), Pakistan(Zone 9b)

I received seeds of above mentioned plant, now I want to know its germination procedure.

Atascadero, CA(Zone 8a)

These grow so freely here..never tried growing them from seed..Most info I've seen indicates that they are difficult to germinate..one says it can take 6 months. .another says even longer (I'd forget where I planted them by that time..LOL) and to soak the seed overnight first. PD says to sow in the fall. . .Hope they sprout for you!!!

jcangemi
Thank you, I will try hope these will germinate.

Spokane, WA(Zone 5b)

When I went to the Plants Database, it had many different types of this plant. Which one is yours? Also, I saw division from rhizomes or tubers, and to plant seed indoors before last Frost - that was just for one variety, however. Type in "Birds of Paradise" in the Plants Database and see what all you find.

http://davesgarden.com/pdb/

Karrie20x
Thank you so much.

Cedar Key, FL(Zone 9a)

I started some from seed a few years ago
On the packet(Seeds of Distinction) it said to put the seeds in a damp paper towel,put in plastic and keep them warm till they germinate
Them pot them up

Out of 10 seeds 6 germinated
It took a few months though

Actually I got seeds in a trade don't know type of this plant. But thanks for information, I think your procedure will work.

Atascadero, CA(Zone 8a)

crestedchik...that's a very good propagation method for many seeds...curious. . .have you gotten blooms yet from yours?. . I read somewhere that it can take several years for them to bloom when started from seed...how did yours do? Janet

Cedar Key, FL(Zone 9a)

No blooms yet
its been 3 years now
I only kept 2 of the plants,traded the rest...
I'm figuring with my luck it will be 5 more years before I see a bloom.....
Heck I have a large white BOP I've had for 3 years and its never bloomed.....

It means I will have flowers after 3 to 4 years.

Atascadero, CA(Zone 8a)

I have a very good propagation book from American Horticultural Society which I lent to a friend. . will look it up tomorrow when I get it back...see what it says. I still like the look of BOP greenery, but doesn't come close to having flowers with it..LOL.

jcangemi
I am waiting.

Atascadero, CA(Zone 8a)

gumlla...my book has a little bit to say about it, not much though. . .sow seeds in spring and make additional plants by detaching rooted suckers off of your existing plants after flowering. To to that, clear the soil away from the sucker's point of origin and use a large sharp knife to cut downward and detach the sucker with as many roots as possible. Dust both cut surfaces with a fungicide and then fill the dirt back in around the parent plant. Remove any large or damaged leaves from the sucker to reduce water loss and place in a container slightly larger than the rootstock, at same depth in the soil that it was before. Grow in a warm, shaded place.

The following link is also very informative:

http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/MG106

Hope this will help you some. . .Janet

jcangemi
Thank you very much. I will sow in the spring.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.