Turnip and mustard sown, send rain

Augusta, GA(Zone 8a)

Finally got enough moisture in the ground to prepare the seed bed and sow turnip and mustard. Need enough light rain now for germination. Hopefully I will able to put rye down this week as well as some kale and rape.

Efland, NC(Zone 7a)

F-dill...I sowed ours last Thursday. Today we got rain! Lookin' good here!

Also sowed some kohlrabi and beets as well (and crimson clover for overwintering in the larger areas of the garden). The kohlrabi germed before the rains came!

No kale this year but did manage to set out some cabbage, brocolli, and collard plants!

Augusta, GA(Zone 8a)

great Shoe. Don't forget the Kohlrabi pictures when they make. Not many people grow the anymore but they are pretty and there are no pictures in the PDB.

Finally got an inch and a half of rain last night and itis raining off and on today. just perfect. We have had strange weather patterns this year. North Georgia and coastal Georgia as well as the lowlands of South Carolina have been wet. But here and the midlands of SC have been dry.

Efland, NC(Zone 7a)

Ten four on the kohlrabi pics.

We had a big rain yesterday, and today it's REALLY beating down...hope it doesn't flood my seeds out now!

At least it's certainly watering in the plants I set out, eh?

Augusta, GA(Zone 8a)

Shoe;
How is the kohlrabi doing? Turnip sized yet. Since you grew Seven Top turnips, the kohlrabi should be a great turnip substitute.

Efland, NC(Zone 7a)

Sheesh...very very few of the kohlrabi seeds germed. (Perhaps they were old? I'll check the date on the bulk bag when I go back to that store.)

I just took a pic I found of a "stray"...apparently the rains moved a few seeds around !

This appears to be kohlrabi as it has the jagged edges and looks like the base is tryng to bulb up. I've found several more but they are exhibiting more elongated stems.

Thumbnail by Horseshoe
Efland, NC(Zone 7a)

Here is a better close-up of a youngster about to begin bulbing up.

(I'll go check later today the other patch I sowed and see what I can discover there...I remember throwing in a row of seeds near the turnip patch.)

Thumbnail by Horseshoe
Salem, NY(Zone 4b)

Don't forget the Kohlrabi pictures when they make. Not many people grow the anymore but they are pretty and there are no pictures in the PDB.

Pretty you say Dill, sure, but if we're going to convert others to growing kohlrabi, one of my faves, we've got to say more than it's pretty and be concerned with pictures, the way I see it.

OK folks, here in the tundra I grow them in the Spring. I grow both the white and purple varieties, hybrids and OP's, b/c I LOVE kohlrabi.

Eat the bulbous part raw and the texture is close to that of jicama or water chestnuts, simmer them lightly until tender and season just with salt and pepper and butter.

Oh my YES.!!!!!

You must grow kohlrabi.

Not a warm weather crop and not high enough temps in our short fall up here to get a good crop. I can get the small white Japanese turnips to mature but seldom the kohlrabi.

it's times like this that I wished I lived in a more southerly area , but to be honest, even tho my only sibling and his family are moving south next summer and abandoning me up here, I love the NE, I really do.

Remember, grow kohlrabi. LOL

Carolyn

So.App.Mtns., United States(Zone 5b)

I LOVE kohlrabi! Sliced thin & fresh in salads, cooked as a veggie in stews, or sautéed by themselves with a little butter, olive oil and a tad of garlic...

Grow kohlrabi!

Efland, NC(Zone 7a)

Hah! Carolyn sounds like a "Kohlrabi head"! But I hafta agree...a delicious food to eat, and delightful to just look at!

darius, the addition of garlic is something I'm gonna try! (I'm a garlic freak anyway so why not!?)

And folks, you can also eat the leaves, too. Cook em up like greens.

Today I watered mine with some good compost tea, am hoping that will kick them into high gear now!

Augusta, GA(Zone 8a)

Actually Carolyn, I find the texture and taste to be that of a peeled cabbage core. I loved to eat those things raw when I was a kid. Of course, they will also substitute well in any turnip recipe and as shoe states, the greens are somewhere between turnip and kale in flavor. Not as tasty as turnip but better than smooth leaf kale.

Shoe, your baby looks like one of the white or possibly green cultivars. Which cultivar is it?

Picture is of Siberian kale, but kohrabi green are better tasting just no where near as prolific.

This message was edited Oct 29, 2004 9:23 AM

Thumbnail by Farmerdill
Efland, NC(Zone 7a)

Normally I grow that kale each year, FDill. I like it in soups (adds a good touch)! Most often though I'll add it to a greens mix (turnip, mustard, etc).

Yes, you're on target w/the kohlrabi...it is a white. Right now though I can't remember if it is simply "Early White" or an "Early White Vienna"....tomorrow I'll go to my supplier and double-check the name. Once I know for sure I'll post a pic in the PDB.

Salem, NY(Zone 4b)

Dill,

You eat cabbage cores too? LOL

Yes, that's a good comparison as well.

I wonder if anyone less than age 50, maybe, eats cabbage cores? LOL

Up here most of us don't "do" the greens thing like you southerners, as in cooking up a mess of greens with some ham, etc.

And we don't "do" crowders either. And okra, which I cannot STAND, is seldom grown up here either. LOL

Good thing there's a north and a south so taken all together we'ver got the climates to grow almost anything..

Carolyn

Efland, NC(Zone 7a)

"I wonder if anyone less than age 50, maybe, eats cabbage cores? LOL"

I eat brocolli stems! Does that count!? (Most folks seem to throw them away...I like to slice them, or peel them, and cook 'em up!)

I've also eaten the cabbage cores, usually munching on them while cooking something else in the kitchen. Snacking I guess.

Carolyn, you need to eat your greens. Loads of good nutrients and flavorful, too!

And if you wanna eat okra...it's gotta be FRIED for most folks. You can do it! You can do it!

My mother sautéed cabbage cores for us... delish!

Salem, NY(Zone 4b)

My mother sautéed cabbage cores for us... delish!

Since Darius pointedly said it was his mother who fixed cabbage cores is this his kind way of saying he's under 50 and some of us here, ahem, could be the age of his parents? LOL

Carolyn

Ahem... Carolyn: I'm Darius, and I'm female... and I'm 64. LOL.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.