broccoli

Clanton, AL(Zone 8a)

When do you buy broccoli plants for the fall planting? I missed it in the spring and would love to have some growing soon. Would Lowes or Walmart have some plants of this type? Thanks, Robbie

Everson, WA(Zone 8a)

I have only seen fall plants in this area once that was ten years ago don't know about your area but you may still have time to start seed. Last year I got see d from territorial for winter crops and had broccli at Christmas and cauliflower in mar and april. Ernie.

Clanton, AL(Zone 8a)

Thanks for the suggestion. I will see what i can come up with this week. I love broccoli and cauliflower. If i find some type of resource, i will let you know. Thanks, Robbie

Hempstead, TX(Zone 8b)

have you tried your local feed stores? ours here have them now.

Clanton, AL(Zone 8a)

I will check them out this next week. I look forward to some frest broccoli. Thanks, Robbie

Bethelridge, KY(Zone 6a)

I just picked some up a couple of weeks ago at Southern States, don't know if they have any feed stores in your area or not. They have cabbage, cauliflower and onion plants as well.

Efland, NC(Zone 7a)

I recently bought some here (NC)...I suppose Alabama "Fall season" can't be too far behind us.

And yes, Lowe's and Home Depot sell Fall plants (in our area anyway). Also garden centers here do also.

If you know your first frost date (or do ya'll have frost in Al?) I'd set your plants out about 60 days before that, or a bit of time before...that should do you justice.

Augusta, GA(Zone 8a)

Bonnie plant farms supplies almost all of the vegetable plants in the southeast. Lowes, Home Depot, Walmart, k-mart, local nurseries, and feed and seeds carry thier plants. They don't sell direct but the list of wahat have available is posted on the internet so if you find something that a local store doesn't carry, you can request the manager of that story to order a flat for you. Usually comes in the next delivery.

Clanton, AL(Zone 8a)

Yes we have frost down here. I have to let the vehicle warm up sometimes in the am so i can go to work. That is how bad it frosts here. I will get out and check out Lowes today before going home from work. I really love broccoli and will let you all know if i find some. I look forward to some. Robbie

Efland, NC(Zone 7a)

Robbie...last year someone exchanged emails with me several times, they were looking for cabbage collard seeds. Was that you? (I've lost the emails somewhere?)

Clanton, AL(Zone 8a)

I talked to you about pole beans ithink. I am always open to seeds of any kind tho, especially ones that produce stuff to eat. I like to eat. :) I saved the purple pole beans from the ones you sent me so ican grow them again. Robbie

Efland, NC(Zone 7a)

Good to hear you saved the bean seeds. Pretty good'ns, eh?

I don't have the cabbage collard seeds but they are selling plants locally now. I just can't remember for the life of me who really really wanted "some decent home collards like we used to grow". (I bet I find out after all the plants are sold.)

Augusta, GA(Zone 8a)

Shoe ; Bonnie has the Morris Heading that the old folks call cabbage collards. If you want a really great tasty collard tho, try Green Glaze which old folks called greasy collards.

Efland, NC(Zone 7a)

Yep...I've had the Morris heading when I couldn't get cabbage collards...the folks "down east" (halfway to the NC coast) debate that there is a big difference. Have also head that Morris and "cabbage collards" are one and the same. However, it seems there is a variety of cabbage collards that has a much lighter color of green than Morris. Heck, I luv 'em all!

Bonnie is the ones selling these cabbage collards at our local grocery store. They also have Morris heading in a flat right next to them. (Perhaps a ploy? ) :>)

I hope I can find some Green Glaze, would love to try those! Are they still sold commercially?

Clanton, AL(Zone 8a)

I went to Lowes just now and got my broccoli and cauliflower plants. I will try to get them in the ground when this rain ends. Of course we have rain and wind from Frances now. I dont mind because we needed the rain. I shall have broccoli soon. yee haw. i am happy now. Robbie

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.