Auspicious Snail Vine

Long Beach, CA(Zone 10b)

My neighbors think that I am nuts. For many reasons of course. BUT one reason is that every morning I go out and peer into my snail vine for an ever elusive snail vine pod. Well, I finally got one!! Yipee!

And then, today, I was getting ready to toss a vase of Mexican sage bush that I had cut and displayed for a party a couple of weeks ago. There was some snail vine twisted around the sage so I left it in the 'arrangement'. And the darn vine rooted!!! No hormones, no special soil or changing water (the sage is wilted and dead in the vase LOL)

Can I tell just say how I try to root everything with clean scissors, boiled water, the whole 9 yards and this was a little WOW. No a big WOW! Very happy here.

Merced, CA(Zone 9a)

Daisy, is there any way you could post a picture of that snail pod? I have had a plant for a few years now, have layered a dozen plants off it, allow ants to run wild over it and nary a pod. I keep looking, I don't even know what to look for! (waaaa!)

Long Beach, CA(Zone 10b)

They are so hard to spot- they look just like the vine without leaves.

Here is a photo of mine iff the vine. SoCal posted one this summer on the vine that is great. I will see if I can find it.

Thumbnail by daisyavenue
Long Beach, CA(Zone 10b)

I found the link (only because SoCal had to email it to me LOL) Don't aske me why searching "snail vine" and "seed pods" wouldn't find this thread.

This has photos of seed pods on the vine.
http://davesgarden.com/forums/t/420634/

Merced, CA(Zone 9a)

Goodness, thank you! I would never have looked for anything so tiny. I received some snail seeds from a friend and they were over 1/4" wide....sooo confused here now. LOL!! At least I know what to look for now. Have you tried your seeds? Successful?

Long Beach, CA(Zone 10b)

I haven't tried mine as I just found them nad I don't think that SoCal has either. She did say that the twist ties got completely lost in the summer's growth and so next year she is going to use big bright ribbons. LOL

Huntington Beach, CA(Zone 10a)

Michelle,

I guess you got my returned email. lol

Ladyanne, the pods look like a long thin green bean. I have sent my seeds to many traders over the years and have never heard anything negative about growing them.

Donna

Long Beach, CA(Zone 10b)

Hey, Donnna! LOL Yep and I wrote you back! ; )

Merced, CA(Zone 9a)

Socal, how big were your seeds? I am thinking these pods are about the size of a CA poppy seed pod?

Huntington Beach, CA(Zone 10a)

My seed pods were exactly like the one above of Michelle's. About 5-6 inches long.

Donna

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.