Unexpected visitor

Castelnau RB Pyrenée, France(Zone 8a)

My mum had an unexpected visitor in her room this morning.
A very beautiful butterfly that we didn't have in the UK came in through her french windows and couldn't find its way out again. I took advantage to get some photos and then caught it gently and opened my hands outside. It wandered up and down my finger opening and closing its wings for a while and then flew off.

Thumbnail by philomel

It's a Southern White Admiral, and here are its underneaths ;)

Thumbnail by philomel
Middlesbrough, United Kingdom

Oh yes, that's pretty! I prefer its underside. You must be enjoying getting to know the new flora and fauna.

Yes, I like the underside too. Isn't the white furry body amazing? and the patterns on the wings are a delight. It's even more special in the flesh (as I suppose are most things)

Mmmm I love the new things to explore. There are loads of grasshoppers and crickets and the toads are HUGE!

Gordonville, TX(Zone 7b)

What an incredibly beautiful butterfly! Never seen anything like it!

Rehoboth, MA(Zone 5a)

How wonderful to see pictures like this from other countries. Thank you,
philomel, for showing this lovely butterfly.
Maria

I was so lucky that it walked up the window pane so I could get the picture of its underside through the glass from outside. It's not quite sharp as it was taken through the double glazing

Thanks for your kind comments all

Weymouth, Dorset, United Kingdom(Zone 9a)

lovely photos, what a beautiful butterfly.
i was just thinking that I'd not seen one like that when i remembered that you'd moved to France!!..

Thanks Sue
They're a little similar to the White Admiral, which is found in the UK, but not common.
I believe the numbers are on the increase, particularly in the Forest of Dean area in Gloucestershire.
I'd never seen one in the UK

El Cajon, CA(Zone 10a)

Philomel, What a lovely butterfly, another of Gods gorgeous creatures, I used to visit the San Diego Zoo a lot when all of theirs would be changing...they are from all over the world of course and it is a lovely butterfly exhibit....[actually fantastic but I love to see them fluttering around the garden in their natural habitat]
I did not realise when we planted all of our passion flower vines, that the vines are a host plant, so now, every year there are hundreds of butterflies [ Monarchs] and the leaves crawling with caterpillers [ maybe one of these days when I learn how to take pictures I can post] only a few of them left now, the caterpillars are getting big and fat. marion

Gordonville, TX(Zone 7b)

Hundreds? I hope you are a quick learner and post soon!

El Cajon, CA(Zone 10a)

Hello Imway2dumb...actually i'm way too dummer than anyone when it comes to computors philomel has already explained to me but was as clear as mud [ not her explanations...me]
I have a newly arrived lap-top not yet installed [ waiting on my son to set it up] right now I have webtv...o'k for emails but not much else...One of these days I will surprise everyone and post the best pictures [ I HOPE]...strangely enough I had intended a few years ago to visit San Fransisco to see their Monarchs..lovely sight as they all huddle together by the hundreds or maybe thousands on some trees [ sorry cannot remember the name of the trees] but now I have my own only they don't huddle, but
lovely to see......

Gordonville, TX(Zone 7b)

Ahhh. You might be "dummer" about computers but, I run the full gamut of dumb!

El Cajon, CA(Zone 10a)

Imway2dumb....I doubt that I couldn't even spell dumber properly and that still does not look right, but who is noticing ??? good that we can have a laugh about it tho, the world is too serious by far.... dumb dumb me

Gordonville, TX(Zone 7b)

Maybe we are the real "Dumb and Dumber!"

Rehoboth, MA(Zone 5a)

You two are a panic, LOL
Maria

El Cajon, CA(Zone 10a)

Imway2dumb....Isn't it lovely to agree...sigh !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

El Cajon, CA(Zone 10a)

ps HI MARIA LOOKING GOOD !!!!!

Gordonville, TX(Zone 7b)

"Say goodnight, Gracie." ;-)

El Cajon, CA(Zone 10a)

Goodnight Gracie :)

Gordonville, TX(Zone 7b)

LOL

El Cajon, CA(Zone 10a)

RETURNS !!!!

Oooh you're so lucky to have Monarchs peterson!!
I'd love to see one. Apparently they do turn up here sometimes if they take a wrong turning on migration, so I'll be keeping my eyes skinned if that's not too painful ;)
Here's a brill site about them http://www.monarchwatch.org/

I'm sure there's somewhere in the instructions for this site that explains how to post photos much better than I can - I just can't find it! If I do I'll put in the link :)

I just found it in the Forums FAQ

Quoting:
How do I add an image to a post?
You can add an image to a new thread you're starting, or to a post to a thread. Beneath the text box for your post, you'll find a "browse" button. This will open up a new window displaying your hard drive. Locate your image you wish to upload, then press "Preview". If you're happy with the entry, press "Submit". It will be automatically uploaded and available for all readers to access.

Hope that's clearer ;oD

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.