My method of propagation

Brookeville, MD(Zone 7a)

This almost never fails:

This is my method for rooting just about anything.

Get a clean container with good drainage (wash) and fill with half perlite, half peat (this is what I use, some people use vermulicite or sand). Pour boiling water and soak the mix completely. Make sure you get the outside sides of the container also. Let it drain for a minute and place it in a sealed freezer bag. The steam will kill any remaining bacteria, germs, etc. Let cool.

Make a slanted cut on the bottom of your cutting with a sterlized SHARP cutting tool. Make sure you also remove most leaves (except for a few on the top) with the tool. Make superficial cuts below the nodes that will be below the surface of the soil. Dip your cutting in a weak hydrogen peroxide/water solution (you don't need to do this if your rooting hormone has fungicide). Then dip in your rooting hormone and insert into your container.

Put your whole container into a clear bag and leave it unsealed and opened at the top only a gap. It helps to blow in it once in a while to further circulate the air. Wait for roots!

This message was edited Nov 18, 2004 5:24 PM

Gardena, CA

Good info Cap, That is pretty much the same way I do it too. I skip the hot water sterilization and hydrogen peroxide treatment though. Of course most of my cuttings are from plants that adapt real well from cuttings. Since you are probably propogating more exotic species, I can see where the sterilization process is more important. Happy gardening..........nada

Gardiner, ME(Zone 5a)

Hi,
I don't do that many cuttings anymore lately ,usually ended up giving away the ones I did as gifts.My method was simular then.

What usually difficult to root plants have you rooted that way ?
Can You just make a brief list please ? any others ...more comman ones ?
Thanks,great Information,
Brigitte

Gordonville, TX(Zone 7b)

Good post, Eglantyne! I'll be watching for the lists, too.

Gardena, CA

me too. I have so many African violets that I either give them away or throw them out. Give us a list Capt.

Gordonville, TX(Zone 7b)

How about some fotos of your cuttings setups, too?

Brookeville, MD(Zone 7a)

I'll have to take a pic..

I root all kinds of things, mostly tropicals and natives.

Recently I rooted jasmine, hibsicuses, shrimp plant, honeysuckle, etc.

Bradford, PA(Zone 5a)

I am always looking for good methods of propagation. Have you tried this with dogwood? I was told to take cuttings now and trench them over winter. I will try that but think I'll give your method a try too.

Minneapolis, MN(Zone 5a)

I, too, use a method similar to CaptMicha, but I don't do the sterilization part.

I have rooted these woody plants:

Metasequoia glyptostroboides (Dawn Redwood)
Thuja occidentalis cultivars (Arborvitae AKA White Cedar)
Chamaecyparis pisifera filifera cultivars (Thread-leaf False Cypress)

I am trying to root Stewartia pseudocamellia and Magnolia salicifolia cuttings right now. I'm not sure how successful I'll be, but I have to try (started them in July).
Mike

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.