How May I Reuse? #01 - Plastic Containers

Spokane Valley, WA(Zone 5b)

Let's consolidate ideas on reuse of common household items that often get discarded in the trash. As ideas come in, I will paraphrase the comments in this first post along with the nick of the *quickest* clever person that posted a suggestion for any item... and ya'll can read further down the thread for any details they provide in their post!

We'll begin with three common plastic containers, for which I will offer an idea. I will then edit this post to add to the list of items as folks offer up ideas on other plastic containers.

Film Cannisters
1. Terre_ - Seed storage.

Gallon Milk Jugs
1. TuttiFrutti - Fill with water and allow to stand open (at least overnight) for watering houseplants with something dechlorinated and at room temperature.
2. Windy - Cut of the top handle portion and use as a scoop for pet food and such
3. Terre_ - Slow drip watering system in the garden.

Margarine Tubs, Deli Salad Containers, et al
1. Amaryllisgal - Tubs can be used as scoops for pet food, bulk fertilizer, potting soil.
2. Amaryllisgal - Lids can be used as drip saucers for small house plants or seedlings.

Pill Bottles
1. Windy - Seed storage and trade packaging.
2. Windy - Soaking seeds and then sowing them into prepared soil.

Plastic Wrappers from Packaged Items (like paper towels)
1. hmstyl - Insulation in the walls of a chicken coop and future storage building.

Shopping Bags
1. hmstyl - Insulation in the walls of a chicken coop and future storage building.

Spice Jars
1. TuttiFrutti - Store up spice blends of my own for cooking/canning, like Garam Masala, Seasoning Salt, Pickling Spices, and Emeril's Essence.

Yogurt Cups
1. TuttiFrutti - Handy for rooting coleus (and other) cuttings and keeping them upright.

Ready? Set? Go!

*HUGS*
Donna

P.S. Feel free to suggest here or email me directly on additional reuse topics for which we can start different theads... or start your own! :)

This message was edited Aug 31, 2004 5:56 PM

This thread has 57 replies. This forum is accessible only to subscribing members of Dave's Garden. There are many free features here, and about half of our forums are completely open to all members. And learn more about Dave's Garden, and explore the benefits of becoming a subscribing member.

Want to join? Register here. Already signed up? Click here to login!