Forsythia standard? How do you make one?

Cincinnati (Anderson, OH(Zone 6a)

I saw a 'standard forsythia' (like a 'standard' rose) in the Wayside's catalog last year--I would like to grow one, but, does anyone know the steps to grafting, which cultivars are best to use, what rootstock, or where I can get directions on how to do it???? If not, has anyone seen them in other catalogs? Thanks. (p.s., if I'm not on the right forum, which one would be better?!)

Piedmont, MO(Zone 6a)

In general, standards are formed this way:
Select the strongest cane and stake it into an upright position. Cut off all other suckers at the base (I am sure this will be a permanent task). Prune back the staked cane to the desired height. As new growth sprouts at the top, prune it back partway also to make the top bushy. Any growth lower down on the staked part can be pruned off. And remember that forsythia sets it's flower buds in late summer, so do your pruning and shaping in spring and early summer. With time, the cane will get thicker and stronger. I have never tried this with forsythia, but it works with some other plants. Good luck!

Cincinnati (Anderson, OH(Zone 6a)

T. I suppose, then, I will wait until spring to try the pruning...but thank you for the information...t.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.