Question: Gloxinia Seeds

Danville, VA(Zone 7b)

Can anyone tell me how to harvest Gloxinia Seeds or Bellflower Seeds? I have the pods but no apparent seeds. Also, can anyone tell me where I could buy the small 2x2 ziplock bags to hold my seeds? They would sure fit in the fridge better than old pill bottles and Gerber jars!!!!!!!

New York & Terrell, TX(Zone 8b)

Gloxinia Seeds look like dust particles. ie: A very small piece or part; a tiny portion or speck. A very small or the smallest possible amount, or trace.
So it is very hard to find them, they are there; even if you don't see them. I know because I'm growing some now.
Sow them on top of soil, no covering them with additional soil; as they need light to germinate, at a temperature of 70 to 80 degrees no higher. They usually have to stay with moist soil also; water from below not on top is the general rule.
They also may take 60 to 90 days to germinate, do not let them dry out!

I don't know much about Bellflower Seeds though, but I hope this helps you a little.

Robin

Stockton, CA(Zone 9a)

You can get the little zips at Wal Mart in the craft section. My Wal Mart carries 2 sizes and they are cheap. If I recall, 100 for around $1.00

Danville, VA(Zone 7b)

Thanks for the info everyone.

Carmel, NY(Zone 6b)

Great information - I was wondering the same thing. Another question, though... Aren't the seeds more likely to get mold in the plastic baggies as opposed to glasine (sp) or paper envelopes?

Stockton, CA(Zone 9a)

Not if you dry them well first. I usually play it safe with mine by keeping a paper towel cut into small squares in my seed box. Then I just slip one in with the seeds & I have never had anything mildew.

Yes you're right Donna, your seeds are package quite well. They're dried very well indeed.
And thanks for the info on where you get those tiny zippy bags from. I meant to ask you about them, however I got distracted by all my plants here.
The record breaking rainfall here up in the Catskill Mountains, has been like a monsoon. What hasn't gotten drowned from it has gotten mold, much is gone except for the basil, tomatoes and pansies. And my houseplants. I'm going to have to check my Siberian Iris' bulbs too. Mine are the 'Painted Desert' ones; planted them this spring.
I've not done any of the seeds you sent, saving them for next spring; and thank you for being so generous.

I use empty cardboard egg cartons to dry out seeds and seed heads, wrapped first in cut up paper towels too. I store them to dry out on top of the fridge, where the temp is 70 to 75 degrees.
This is also a good place to germinate some seeds too.

Robin

Stockton, CA(Zone 9a)

Hi Robin,
Thank you for all the nice comments! Very kind of you. I wanted to tell you that I just bought more zip baggies at Wal Mart today & they are 100 bags for .99cents. so very reasonable. And they have 2 sizes which I like.
Sounds like you get a lot of moisture where your at. Is that normal for your area? The cardboard egg cartons are a clever idea! You should post that in the General Discussion thread Favorite Gardening Tip
http://davesgarden.com/forums/t/385522/
and also the drying on the top of the fridge. Both are really good tips! I just added them both to my gardening journal. :~)

Thanks for the link Donna, there are so many forums that Dave's Garden is like a Labrynth.

The rainfall up here this Summer season has been abnormal, it's usually moist, but not this wet.
Due to the rain clouds; the sun hasn't been able to get through enough to dry things up; and it's been cool too, very abnormal. A lot of crops were drowned too. There's been tons of mold in the fields. Tons of ragweed and mosquitoes are the best crop and winners this year.

I put what I could on the front & back porches to protect them from the deluges. Three to 4 days a week was what it was like up here. Yet 35 miles away they didn't get enough rain; so howse 'bout that?

Danville, VA(Zone 7b)

Does anyone know what size the pod is that is fertile as compared to ones that are not fertilel. I have some that are twice the size of a bb and some that are 4 or 5 times the size of a bb. The larger ones have not turned black yet. I suppose I have to let them turn black before the seeds are mature.

Deep South Coastal, TX(Zone 10a)

Bellflower seeds are tiny too, about like foxglove seeds. I harvest them by cutting the stalk when the pods start to turn golden brown and dry them on big sheets of newspaper. After a few days of drying, shake the stalks and the seeds fall out onto the paper.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.