How hard is it to save seed from hosta pods?

Bethel, OH(Zone 6a)

I heard that it is very hard to save seed from hosta pods. Can anyone tell me if it is worth saving these seed pods. Also, I am collecting mini hostas and wondered if seed pods grow after the flowers die. I have two that have flowered and died and as of yet no seed pods. Help please.

Cindy

Spokane, WA(Zone 5b)

Mini - I have never tried to do this. You might try posting this in the Hosta forum as well, if you haven't already - they trade seeds in there, so I know they know how to do it.

Guilford, CT(Zone 7a)

I collected the seed pods last year - I pulled the individual seeds out of the pods after they were dried out. These seeds went to a greenhouse for a charity. (The seeds "with the bump" are the fertile ones.) Most of them grew, & I was told the baby Hostas were adorable. It sounds like a worthwhile venture!

Bethel, OH(Zone 6a)

Don't know what you mean seeds with a bump. my pods are round as the size of a no. 2 pencil. New at this.
Thanks Karrie I will post there also, never thought about it.
Brain fog I guess
Cindy

Guilford, CT(Zone 7a)

I didn't get to see the seeds when they were planting them - that is what they told me about the bump (cotyledon). Usually 10-40% are viable seeds. Flat seeds are NG. But - the Hosta seed pods have 3 (I think) pockets with seeds - lined up in each pod. There are many in each pod. Before I had decided to donate the seeds, I was saving egg cartons to sow them in. You have nothing to lose, so go ahead & give it a shot!

Bethel, OH(Zone 6a)

Will do will keep everyone posted.
Thanks

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.