Has anyone ever grown Solomon's Seal from Seed?

So.App.Mtns., United States(Zone 5b)

One of the Solomon's Seal plants in the woods across from my house has berries hanging down, which I assume are seed pods. Anyone have any experience with them??

CREZIERES, France(Zone 8a)

According to maestro Norman Deno, the method is: remove seeds. Wash and clean them daily for a week. Then sow them in a pot outside in October and they should germinate by the following April. He lives in Pennsylvania so you can make any adjustments necessary due to your climate...
(Personally, I think it is an ugly plant... but I don't have perfect pitch when it comes to plant aesthetics... ;o))
Mike

So.App.Mtns., United States(Zone 5b)

Mike, it well may be an ugly plant... but Native here and I'm trying for a Native shade garden. Thanks for your input.

I wonder about the "wash and clean daily for a week" though. Any thoughts?

Locust Grove, GA(Zone 7b)

I just not 2 hours ago opened some of the pods that were hanging down. I am drying them out and will plant I guess in a couple of days, or would it be better to fridge them until October, I have 3 acres of native plants and native asarum, with moss and 2 running creeks. Nice to see someone else is trying as well

Piedmont, MO(Zone 6a)

I am trying too! I got this info from Tom Clothier's website:
They can take up to a year to germinate.
Store seeds in moist sand in the shade. Check regularly in the spring. As soon as the radicle emerges (root), plant in soil.

I will be trying this over the fall, winter, and next spring.
Good luck to you guys.
Bentleygardens, your place sounds wonderful.
Susan

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.