Enkoping, Sweden

I wonder if anyone know of a good tasting pea that grows high as a pole bean.

Roger

Augusta, GA(Zone 8a)

Don't know of any English pea )Pisum sativum) that grows more than 2 meters or so. Two old cultivars in the USA, Tall Telephone and Alderman, will grow this tall under ideal conditions.

Cleveland, GA(Zone 7a)

I have been planting Little Marvels with a lot of success here in North Georgia. They seem to grow as tall as the fence I have them climbing!

Cindy Lou

Efland, NC(Zone 7a)

Hmmmm....have only grown Sugar Snaps that climb...they got up to 3.5 ft, maybe four.

F-Dill...how'd those Aldermans taste? Are they sweet tasting or more bland (like a Wando)?

Enkoping, Sweden

ideal condition,is it the same as long growing season and warm weather in that case I have to forget it at least a year like this with only one month summer.but peas grows faster then even beans?

Roger

Efland, NC(Zone 7a)

Peas love the cooler weather, Roger. I plant them when I plant potatoes and/or onions. They don't produce long here because it gets too hot too soon. Wonder if they'd do better at your place.

Augusta, GA(Zone 8a)

Shoe have not grown the Alderman. Been better than 30 years since I grew Tall Telephone. It is a large podded pea, about 4 inches long and thick as my thumb. Taste compared favorably to Thomas Laxton. Poor yielding for me tho. My climate was just too warm for a long season English pea. We grew Little Marvels when I was a kid. soon swapped them in for Blue Bantum. then went to Early Bird. That was in piedmont Virginia. Here in Georgia, peas are at best a winter crop and barely worth the trouble. Virginia's New River valley was ideal tho. only had a couple of cultivars that were duds. One was Novella.

Roger; Ideal conditions would be, fertile soil. with cool summer temperatures and lots of rain. Think England or at least New England.

Efland, NC(Zone 7a)

I agree on the dud, Novella. Tried that here, too. Bummer.

I have best results with Laxton Progress #9 (not same as Thomas Laxton)...but I broadcast them like grass seed. (Not a climber, Roger.)

Augusta, GA(Zone 8a)

Yep; Laxton's Progress #9 has several names. Southern States Cooperative sold them as Early Bird. Great early pea for producing. Not as flavorfull as the more wrinkled peas like Freezonia or Green Arrow but a great early pea.

Efland, NC(Zone 7a)

Hmmm...note taken. Thanks!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.