Guess what's still blooming today?

La Plata, MD(Zone 7a)

Was really happy to walk into the garden this morning and find five still able to bloom. One was Black Eyed Stella, but the others included Selma Rose.

Thumbnail by gingerjar
La Plata, MD(Zone 7a)

Also Court Troubador

Thumbnail by gingerjar
La Plata, MD(Zone 7a)

Iszy Dizzy had two nice double blooms.

Thumbnail by gingerjar
La Plata, MD(Zone 7a)

Another view of Iszy Dizzy

Thumbnail by gingerjar
La Plata, MD(Zone 7a)

Roses in Snow

Thumbnail by gingerjar
Pleasant Grove, UT(Zone 6a)

They are all so pretty! Just wish they would bloom all winter!

La Plata, MD(Zone 7a)

Isn"t that the truth! I almost missed the last rebloom on Rainbow Kid. Just discovered it a few minutes ago.
See all those spent scapes!

This message was edited Aug 23, 2004 6:17 PM

Thumbnail by gingerjar
Farmington, ME(Zone 4b)

Do you cut the spent scapes back on rebloomers?

La Plata, MD(Zone 7a)

I haven't. I usually leave all the scapes on until they are totally dried and pull off readily. Anyone else have any thoughts on this?

Melvindale, MI(Zone 5a)

I do the same Ginger.

Lenexa, KS(Zone 6a)

I *love* Court Troubador, gingerjar. Very nice.

La Plata, MD(Zone 7a)

Thanks langbr. It really is pretty and still has six more buds.

Farmington, ME(Zone 4b)

Thanks gingerjar & hemlady,
I usually cut mine back,, maybe that's why I don't get many reblooms?

Edgewater, MD(Zone 7a)

I really need to work on getting more late bloomers. Those are all so beautiful.

La Plata, MD(Zone 7a)

I'm sure this is the last bloom this year for Just Plum Happy. Sad!

This message was edited Aug 25, 2004 12:38 PM

Thumbnail by gingerjar
Lenexa, KS(Zone 6a)

D-Cat - that's been my mission over the last month...to find as many L and VL and RE that I can find that strike my fancy. Doing pretty good too. So good I'm afraid next year I'm going to be saying, "I need more early bloomers." LOL!

Gardiner, ME(Zone 5a)

to hooked in Farmington from Eglantyne in Litchfield :-)

I cut mine back too without waiting for them to try up,most of the time anyway.
You had a comment about reblooming .
Cynthia or Don is that a fact ?
Brigitte

Melvindale, MI(Zone 5a)

I don't believe cutting scapes off has anything to do with whether a plant will rebloom or not. I've not heard or read anything like that.

La Plata, MD(Zone 7a)

I don't think so either.

Edgewater, MD(Zone 7a)

I just wait for them to turn brown and they pop off easy, never worried about cutting them down or if it would effect them. Guess I also figured that its green and maybe it energy gets absorbed for better root growth, Kinda like they recommend for iris.

La Plata, MD(Zone 7a)

It's getting really bad when all I have to post is Black Eyed Stella and Court Troubador which also bloomed on the 23rd and that is pictured earlier in this thread. I did find a new scape on Regal Procession, so should have a bloom on that in about a week if the deer don't take a fancy to it.

Thumbnail by gingerjar
La Plata, MD(Zone 7a)

Court Troubador

Thumbnail by gingerjar
Toadsuck, TX(Zone 7a)

LOVE THAT PLUM HAPPY.....BUT WHAT A WAY TO GO!!

"eyes"

Edgewater, MD(Zone 7a)

So excited, the one day I dont go look first thing in the morning and look what I found! Woodside Romance polypetaled for me. Now if I can only figure out what I did. This is the only one I have left blooming, still have a few more buds on it too.

Thumbnail by Dravencat
Gardiner, ME(Zone 5a)

Dravencat I noticed in your last picture that You have roses mixed in .
So do I :-) and other Perennials.
Have been working on a new garden since May,digging up grass by the square yard :-(
I also planted some iris among above mentioned flowers ,never thinking about that iris don't like as much water as Roses and DL.
Do the Roses and DL make good companion plants ?....most likely.But what about the Iris's ?
Do You or anyone else have done that and how did you all fare with mixed beds like that ?
Brigitte

Melvindale, MI(Zone 5a)

Cameron Quantz is still going strong with at least l0 buds still left.

Thumbnail by hemlady
Klamath Falls, OR(Zone 6a)

I'm interested in this too, because where I plan to put some recently acquired daylilies also has a rose planted there. And, I'd like to put some Iris in with them, but I've been concerned about giving them too much water. When I think about it though, Irises grow beautifully in a part of our state that gets a lot of rainfall, so maybe if the drainage is good enough, they'll do okay. Am anxiously awaiting thoughts about Brigitte's questions.

sharvis

Melvindale, MI(Zone 5a)

Also, Tune the Harp is still on its rebloom.

Thumbnail by hemlady
Edgewater, MD(Zone 7a)

Well I just planted that bed aaabbboouuut a month ago, everything in it is doing great. I have daylilys(of course)a rose, yarrow, solomons seal, a couple iris, and a couple of other things I cant remember right off. Everything has new growth, the roses are doing fantastic in that spot and the daylilys growth is great. I had some tiny fans of Song Sparrow planted elsewhere that looked ready to die, replanted them in that bed and they area showing all kinds of new growth and are about 5 inches taller than when I planted them there.

Edgewater, MD(Zone 7a)

Just needed to say that Tune the Harp is beautiful, how big are the blooms on that one?

Plano, TX(Zone 8a)

Wow! They're all beautiful. I love that Iszy Dizzy!

Melvindale, MI(Zone 5a)

Blooms on Tune the Harp are 6". They sometimes look bigger than that to me. I never actually measured to see.

Edgewater, MD(Zone 7a)

Wow, nice size.

That Iszy Dizzy is one I am putting on my wish list, my youngest is named Isabelle, called Isa for short and thats pretty dog gone close.

Shelburne Falls, MA(Zone 5a)

Hi all,
I cut my daylilies that are in mixed beds when the scapes are still green because they look less "messy". I have rebloomers but they always bloom on new scapes, so cutting the green scapes never effects the reblooming. I never cut orange daylily scapes-always wait till they're easy to yank.

I don't put bearded iris in any mixed beds-they have their own bed, because they shouldn't be mulched. But I mix siberian and japanese and species wherever because they like mulch. What do others do?

Also is Black Eyed Stella small flowered? A rebloomer? Such a pretty form. Like the Troubador lots, too!
Boojum

Farmington, ME(Zone 4b)

To Eglantyne.
Thanks- I've been ordering new DL - just read your note! Maybe we just don't have a long enough season for reblooming. I only have one at this time.

La Plata, MD(Zone 7a)

Black Eyed Stella's blooms are a bit bigger than Stella's, and it reblooms as readily as Stella. Blooms are a bit more than 3".

Toadsuck, TX(Zone 7a)

How tall is Tune the Harp, she really is an angel.

"eyes"

Lenexa, KS(Zone 6a)

As I read this thread every day I realize how much I like Selma Rose too! I really like those seer-sucker textured pinks and whites. Very nice!

Northern California, United States(Zone 9a)

Eyes, TUNE THE HARP has 26" scapes, it's one of my favorites. Often has rebloom scapes developing on a fan before the first scapes are done blooming. The first year I had it I wasn't that impressed but had heard from others that this one needed settling in time to truely show off and they were right! I have some posted on the auction right now, adding a few daylilies here and there along with my seeds.

This message was edited Aug 27, 2004 9:33 AM

Melvindale, MI(Zone 5a)

Sue, is right, lovely plant. I haven't been able to sell mine for a couple years. I almost done it in by overselling it 3 years ago. Everybody wanted some. I'm just letting it increase. It looked real good this year. I was able to send a fan to Wanda for secret trade.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.