Question about baby rose and hibiscus seedling

Washington, PA(Zone 6b)

Hi everyone,

I have started a couple of hardy hibiscus plants from seed and was wondering when I should plant them outside. They are about 4 months old and have a good strong root structure. They are root bound already and I had just changed their pot about 1 month ago. I live in Zone 6b.

The other is a baby rose that I also started from seed (Imagine that!) and is also root bound again. It's about 5 months old and I've already had 3 blooms and know it's not wild. I need to know when I can transplant it outside. If I have to wait 'til next year I will, but I needed your expert advise.

Thanks so much...
Toni

Olathe, KS(Zone 6a)

Groovy baby groovy! WE too love starting hearty hibiscus from our own seed and have found a couple odd hybrids. My wife and I both think you could plant the Hibiscus now so they can get established before the end of the season. I haven't a clue about the rose sadly, we don't do roses here but we love our hibiscus of all kinds. What colors produced seeds and are the seedlings the same color as the parents?
We were always told that our red hearty's wouldn't produce seed and if they did, they would be sterile. We have 3 (1 red has been around for several years)red, 5 white and too many white and pinks. Well last year we bought 2 red babies and they ended up rpoducing viable seeds much to our suprise!!! We started them indoors early last spring and put them in the groung ASAP. They are now probably 3+ foot tall and are blooming those monster plate sized brilliant red blooms and producing more seeds. We've always had luck getting viable seeds from the hearty white and the white/pink's seeds are so hearty, it literally reseed's itself! The white/pink is much more dainty compared to the others sadly and are also much more prone to infestations and other ailments.
I don't know how experienced you are with these hibiscus so I'll throw in a few tricks we've learned the hard way over the years.
These plant's are always the last one's to pop up every spring and we mulch them so hard, they have the heat of a mini compost pile to help them start off. Our hibiscus that are established(3+ years and more) get cut back by 1/2 atleast 3 times before we allow them to take off before blooming. We've found that if we don't, they stretch so much and get so tall and thin, they drag the ground when they begin blooming heavy. The last 2 or 3 years we've been pruning like this and making a "cage" out of 3 ft. tall green wire fencing about 3ft. in diameter. This helps a bunch with the drooping too. Right now, they're all still 8ft. tall and at least 6 ft. wide and that's after we do everything I mentioned above. The branches are thicker than ever and we don't have 1 flower blooming on the ground. I sure wished someone would of told me these tricks 5 some years ago.
We found our 1st seeds this weekend on the red one's, I can't wait to see what hybrids we end up with that are on the new babies we planted this year. I hope it's not any more pink! I'd kill for a hearty yellow or orange hibiscus, I wonder how long it will be before somebody creates those and how they go about doing it?
Good luck and I look forward to hearing about your plants.
Jeff

Washington, PA(Zone 6b)

Hi Jeff, thanks for posting! I have only just begun gardening, I have a hardy hibiscus pink/white that I do not know the name of. Someone send me these seeds for a Hardy Red Hibiscus. I haven't seen it in bloom yet so I have no idea if it will come true. I guess we shall see. I plan on harvesting seeds off of mine this year to see if I can reproduce it, it is so pretty. I am going to put these in the ground, what do I got to lose, you know. I'd love to see pics of your if you have any. Here's mine:

Thumbnail by groovytee

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.