Oriental Lily Seeds

hiram, GA(Zone 7b)

When are the seedpods of an Oriental Lily ready to harvest? I know the bees just polinated the living daylights out of them, and want to start some from seed. What is best method? I realize it's going to be a long time before I see any flowers. Some of the pods are busting at the seam, but seeds inside are green.

Banning, CA(Zone 9b)

good question cowgirl! i was gonna post a question on this same line (O.lilies) when i noticed that the pods start to crack open i just pluck the seed pod off , bring it inside and set it on a paper plate... let it dry out as it drys out the pod will crack open all the way and the seeds will turn brown... i have collected the seeds after they were dry and put them in a baggie but i dont know where to go from there.. i dont mind if i dont get flowers for 2 or 3 years, or how many ever years it takes... i figure if i dont save them and plant them then in 2 or 3 years i wont have flowers anyway... there isnt much effort put into putting them in the ground so what the heck,... right?! what i want to know is how do u know if the seeds are any good.. they kinda look like glad seeds but without that bump in the middle of the papery thing.. they look exactly like what my tulips put out as seed ... so i figure..i'll plant them and if they sprout , they sprout.. if not , oh well.. (: let me know how urs does,,,,(:
chrissy

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.