Snail vine

Stockton, CA(Zone 9a)

While I was out taking pics of my vine fence this morning I made another exciting discovery.
My blue Clitoria that I had given up on ever blooming (I transplanted them & they went into shock) had a bloom for me. It was tucked in behind the cream snail vine.

Thumbnail by PudgyMudpies
Stockton, CA(Zone 9a)

And while taking this picture, what should I see?
A seedpod on my cream snail vine. This was the first time mine has seeded. But it is also the first year I have had it in the ground too. Wonder if that is the reason. I had ants on the blooms last year while it was in the pot, so being in the ground is the only thing different.

Stockton, CA(Zone 9a)

So I started poking around, and found that I have seedpods forming on my solid purple snail vine too! Another first.

Stockton, CA(Zone 9a)

I have no idea how I am gonna tell these pods apart once the flowers fall off, but I am not gonna worry about it. I find them both really pretty so whichever they turn out to be I will be thrilled. But I do have to admit, when I walk past that vine bed the fragrance that fills that walkway is to die for. I can be in a hurry and when I hit that walkway I just stop and breath. Sometimes I even sit down on the side of the deck and just inhale. Family thought I was a loon until I grabbed them up & made them come sniff. Now I notice my son will even slow down on his way by & take a deep breath. If any of you have not smelled this smell, you are really missing out.

Chariton, IA(Zone 5b)

Pudgy, the cream colored blooms are not a snail vine. It is a corkscrew vine and much sought after. The blooms smell so good. For me, it is much easier to control than the snail vine (purple). I have a double blue clitoria ternatea vine this year and have only seen two blooms on it. Very slow to get started. I may have to dig it and try to hold it over this winter. I had hoped that it would form seed pods and I could just grow it from seed next spring. NOT!! LOL! Nice pictures.

Stockton, CA(Zone 9a)

Hi Brugie,
I agree the cream are corkscrew & the purple are snail vine, but it seems most people call them all snail vine & I have gotten into the habit of grouping them & just using color to seperate them to avoid arguements. Seems no one can agree because depending where they look up their info, there is conflicting answers. So your clitoria was slow too, huh? Well then I wonder if the transplanting really had nothing to do with it. In previous years I have started them in peat pellets & I do not consider that to be transplanting because they never now they have been moved, but this year I did them in plastic cell packs & I know the roots were disturbed when I moved them. Thanks for telling me, I won't get discouraged then. I planted single & double white, and single & double blue and since I gave all my extra seeds away once I had seedlings, I was feeling a bit sad that I was not gonna have them next year. :~) There is still hope! LOL

edited to ask, how did you make your word CORKSCREW bold?

This message was edited Aug 19, 2004 10:32 AM

Chariton, IA(Zone 5b)

Just sent you mail.

Stockton, CA(Zone 9a)

Thank you Shirley!

wow! just previewed & it works. Guess what I am gonna be using from now on. LOL

Needville, TX(Zone 9a)

Hello, Hello? ...lol.

Stockton, CA(Zone 9a)

smartypants ;~p

Needville, TX(Zone 9a)

Donna, what is that pink bloom poking up from the bottom on the first picture? Your corkscrew looks great.

Floresville, TX(Zone 9a)

I think this is how you did it...

Ah, yes, html:-D

I kinda thought that would work since it turns webpage addresses into links automatically, but I never tried it before.

So that this is not completely off topic, I have the double blue Clitoria as well, and it has tons of blooms and quite a few seedpods on it. See the pic...

Floresville, TX(Zone 9a)

Seedpod...

Btw, both of your vines look look great:-) I have the snail vine, but not the corkscrew

Thumbnail by Indigoez
Floresville, TX(Zone 9a)

Flower...

Thumbnail by Indigoez
Stockton, CA(Zone 9a)

Indigoez,
Very pretty double, my doubles were never that full. I like it.
Pam, the pink flowers are "kiss me over the garden gate", I planted them behind the vine fence so they poke through & give me some nice color amongst all the purple. It can be invasive in areas that get the cold winters because it needs cold strat to germinate. That is not a problem for me.

Chariton, IA(Zone 5b)

Donna, I don't think Dave likes for us to use this stuff a lot, just when important. At least you know how to get people's attention now. LOL! People doing co-op's often use it for various reasons. We used to be able to use color, but that doesn't work anymore. Maybe that was what he was encouraging us not to use....not the bold.

Stockton, CA(Zone 9a)

Fortunately I have short term memory & will have forgotten how to use it by tomorrow. LOLThanks Brugie.

Judsonia, AR(Zone 7b)

pudgiemudpies, that's a beautiful snail vine, I got one coming in a trade, I so hope it turns out as beautiful as yours is, can't wait for those flowers to form

kathy_ann

Jones Creek, TX(Zone 9a)

Oh droool, drooool, over here, I don't dare even think about one until I can get these night radin critters under control. That would be the first thing they would dig up.....
And Would I be hot the prettiest vine and it would be wrapped around their little necks like a noose......LOL
:o)
Dee

Pinellas Park, FL(Zone 9b)

do what?lol

Pinellas Park, FL(Zone 9b)

I have snail vine and it is in full bloom now. Can't wait to see if I get pods.
Jan...

Needville, TX(Zone 9a)

and I'd be yelling in the foreground "HANG EM' HIGH MA!"......LOLOLOLOLOL.

Stockton, CA(Zone 9a)

LOLOLOL, you all crack me up. And HANG EM' HIGH MA? ROTFL.
I have pinned a bunch of stems to the ground in hopes I can finally figure out how to get more plants. I have had no luck with starting cuttings of these, so maybe this way will work. I have heard it does, just that it is slow to root.
I have another fence I want to plant next year and I do not want to have to start with seeds again.

(Taylor) Plano, TX(Zone 8a)

Pudgymudpies-
I have been growing both for several years, now, and wanted to tell you not to
worry about trying to tell the pods apart from your snail and corkscrew.
The snail seeds are teeny tiny, while the corkscrew are closer to a regular bean. The snail seeds are approx. 1/5 the size of the corkscrew...
easy...
Now, ... telling the snail from the clitoria would be much harder, since they are about the exact same size. Some clitoria have black seeds, and those would be easy, but the colors of clitoria that have brown seeds, look identical to the snail seeds...
-Seedpicker_TX

Stockton, CA(Zone 9a)

Thank you seedpicker,
that is valuable info and I am saving it for reference. :~)

Livermore, CA(Zone 9a)

PudgyMudpies, the snail vine is very easy to root. I just stick them in damp seed starting mix and they nearly always root. I have them in the greenhouse where it stay's warm, but in Stockton you should be able to put the pots in a plastic bag and sit them in the shade. I am in Livermore, so our weather is very similar.

Patricia

Stockton, CA(Zone 9a)

Hi Patricia,
Sounds like we root things the same way, and I always have had very good success with it. But I have had really poor success with rooting these for some reason. Last year I started several all through the year & only had 2 survive. I even tried them in water. Nothing. (I tried them in a potato too. Sheer desperation, LOL) but now that I have been trying the method, whatever the name is, of pinching off a leaf and burying it, I have been getting root formation.
Do yours overwinter well? I am curious how mine will do in the ground this year. It has been in a pot and was outside all last winter, but was pretty much sheltered.
Donna

Pudgymudpies-
me, again!
You shouldn't have to worry about the snail vine during the winter, if it is in the ground. It may die back to the soil, but will return. This is, of course, if it has been there establishing roots since Spring. I would not recommend planting a small plant of it now, and still guaranteeing the same results.
I've had mine for three years now, and they all come back each year-and bigger each year, too.

Corkscrew is much more tender and will not survive for me here in Texas zone 8, at least none of them survived this past winter. We had an unusually mild winter, too.
The corkscrew might perform differently for you, though, since you are in a warmer zone...

Stockton, CA(Zone 9a)

Hi Seedpicker,
I will make sure & keep it covered at night then, because I would not want to lose it now that I can smell what it is capable of. ;~)
I will overwinter my new rooted ones in the house. I am afraid where I plan on putting them will end up only being an annual spot for them there, because it is the rain gutter drainage trench between the cement and the fence and will probably drown them out. I usually only plant annual vines there, but since I plan on putting a shade roof up this fall, I will actually be able to use that side without getting heat stroke & I just have a dream of me laying in a hammock and that smell wafting around me. LOLOLOL
(in my dream there is not a ton of stuff to do each day & I can actually take naps. hehehe)
I am going to buy some pipe and try to re-route the gutter water onto the lawn during the winter & see if that helps.
Thanks for the info!
Donna

Jones Creek, TX(Zone 9a)

We got one of those critters last night, shot um dead, now two more to go and the armdillo raids should be done......
Darn tootin, them thangs are ugggggleeee tooo. I am gonna stay up all night and git both these. It is raining and I know they will get my last three L'amour Seedlings tonight if I don't....They have gotten everything else so far, would have gotten the Morning Glories to but most of them are in Pots or in a spot they can't reach..... Yall wish me luck.....
:o)
Dee

Stockton, CA(Zone 9a)

Good Luck Dee! HANG EM HIGH! LOL
Little buggers will think twice before they set foot in YOUR yard again!

Stockton, CA(Zone 9a)

Seedpicker,
I need to have your brain again. :~)
My first bean ripened. I am pretty sure it is from the solid purple snail, only because the little fairy cap on top is green like the snail flower cap, whereas the corkscrew cap is white. So please look at the pic & tell me if I am right. I have not split the bean open yet cuz I am still admiring it, LOL, if you need to see the seeds I will open it. I am just so proud of this bean! :~))
Thanks!
Donna

hi!
Congratulations on your pod!
Based on the size(compared to your mouse), and how long & skinny it is, I would definitely say it is a snail vine seed pod, not corkscrew. When you open the seed pod, you can be more sure, if the seeds are about the size of lentil beans(those funny colored tiny green pea/beans they make mushy soup out of).
Happy harvest!
-seedpicker_TX

Stockton, CA(Zone 9a)

Hi Seed,
thanks for responding. I finally got tired of gazing at my seed, lol, and opened it. I do not know what a lentil looks like, but here is a pic of what was inside. I am sure that it is a snail too, your earlier post said they would look like clitoria seeds & they do, only slightly smaller. Yippieee!! Now to see if I can get them to grow next year. Thanks for you help,
Donna

TOO FUNNY!
You had me digging in my pantry for BEANS! lol...
There is a little green lentil bean just above my left index finger. There are other beans, (of course)for comparison.
I'd say the snail vine seed is just a wee bit smaller than a lentil, and the corkscrew are about half the size of a pinto bean.
Do you need me to point out a kidney bean??

(JUST KIDDING!!)(ROTF!)(*laughing as I type)
REALLY! JUST kidding!

Thumbnail by seedpicker_TX

How stupid of me! It just occurred to me that I should have put a snail vine seed
on the package!
I did, and to my surprise, the snail vine seed is even smaller than I had said. Actually it is half the size of a lentil bean!
The seeds on the left are snail vine seeds, the seeds on the right are clitoria seeds. The clitoria seeds are actually much closer in size to the lentil, than the snail vine.
The corkscrew seeds are about double the size of the clitoria...I'd show a picture of those, but I've sown them, or given them all away in trades...
-seedpicker_TX

Thumbnail by seedpicker_TX
Stockton, CA(Zone 9a)

HEY! How come your nails look so nice????? Thats cheating. Gardeners are not supposed to have pretty nails... I am pretty sure I had to sign something to that effect...LOLOLOL
Now, onto the bag of beans, are you pointing at a pea? I know what a pea looks like. I am gonna google a lentil bean. OK, I googled & I am pretty sure you are pointing at a pea. No wait, I googled lentil without the bean & it does look like the pea your pointing at. And no, you don't need to point out a kidney bean, it's about the only one I DID recognize in that bag! LOLOLOL (its that big red one on the left, right?)
Hey, what can I say? We are not bean eaters here.
But while I was googling, I found a pic that came up and I really like the flower!
Looks like a white clitoria, look & see if you know which of the beans listed goes with that flower. Are the beans in your bag plantable? I may need to go buy a bag of beans.
http://www.agr.gov.sk.ca/Crops/Pulses.asp?firstpick=Crops&secondpick=Pulses

Edited to say:
we must have been typing at the same time. I did not see your 2nd post until I hit send. Yes, they look just like mine! Thanks.

This message was edited Sep 9, 2004 4:01 PM

Weird coincidence on the nails! I had JUST painted them about ten minutes before I responded to your post! lol...they had gotten ratty, broken and all the paint was chipping off. I couldn't stand it another minute! They are usually longer, but the gardening has taken a toll!

You know? I just might go plant some lentils now!! Those ARE pretty! I have always loved legumes/peas/etc. They are always such pretty flowers, and so beneficial because they help fix nitrogen.

I really might just do that...
Thanks for the idea!
-seedpicker_TX

Stockton, CA(Zone 9a)

So you can just plant the beans in those bags? And look at the chickpea bloom!
http://www.pioneer-net.com/psr/PSR%20Chickpea%20Bloom.jpg
I think I need a pot of lentils, chickpea & peas next year.

Wow!
I'll have to plant those, for sure!
Everyone will think I'm growing something rare and exotic! lol...
Yes, I think you can just plant them right from the bag...
Anyone know any different?
-seedpicker_TX

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.