weeping willow help

Cookeville, TN(Zone 7a)

I am very new to propagation, I have a weeping willow tree that I would love to get cuttings from, but what should I do? I need all the help I can get, where should I cut and what do I do with the cuttings? and how long does it usually take to root?

Jeanerette, LA(Zone 9b)

I take cuttings from my tree and put them in a 5 gallon bucket of water to root. Only fill the bucket with 1/4 to 1/2 of water, roots will grow where ever the water touches the cutting. It will show roots in less than a week. Weeping Willow cuttings are so easy to root this way.
I find a small branch about 2 feet tall that looks like it is a good shape to form a nice tree and cut these off, and remove all the leaves growing on it.
I then add it to the water and let them soak for a few weeks, they will have lots of roots and will have sprouted new leaves also. You can then transplant to pots or in the ground if you prefer. I have done 6 cuttings with this method and only lost one of them. The others are now young healthy trees.

Olympia, WA(Zone 7b)

I have also heard that willows have their own rooting hormone, in which case the leftover water after rooting should be great to use for rooting other plants. I've yet to try it myself, but it's a useful piece of trivia!

--DanaK

Banning, CA(Zone 9b)

well last year i propogated ALL my willow trimmings... i had let the W/Willow grow too big so ended up cutting off some pretty big branches... some 7 ft tall and about the roundness of a quarter and a fifty cent piece... i stripped alllllll the leaves off and cut back some of the thinner branches so to shape it in a tree, put in a bucket of water prob about a foot and a half to 2 ft deep in water , so it grows enough roots around that 2 ft section to keep the weight up when planted.. and with in 3 or 4 dcays u'll see little white numbs growing.. those are the roots growing... i did this to plant about 17 weeping willow and corkscrew willow trees down one of my driveways.. saved me hundreds of dollars... now hubby did run one of them over with his truck not paying attention and i was so mad that i just stuck the brocken part in the ground right next to where it was planted.. all the leaves died back , BUT re-rooted in the mud! i didnt even have to put it in water to get it to re-root.. i now have 4 weeping willows which have grown on their own at wet areas from me pruning my willows and little fly away branches must have gotten blown in those areas and are now standing straight out of the ground growing... so u can first try thebucket method which we KNOW works... and when u feel brave , just try sticken a branch in the mudd... (:
chrissy

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.