Rooting Mandevilla

Pocola, OK(Zone 7a)

I repotted my Mandy this afternoon and a couple of vines broke off. Right now I have them in water, waiting on me to figure out exactly what I need to do. Can I cut them up and put them in potting medium or water? Where should I cut, just above the leaf sets like you would a philodendron? Will it root pretty good in potting soil? Basically I just need to know if there is anything special I need to do to get these guys potted and growing. I would rather not root in water since plants do so much better if you can plant directly into potting soil.

Chariton, IA(Zone 5b)

I've never had good luck rooting them and never in water. I have had reasonable luck by just sticking several nodes below the soil line and watering when needed. I found that because they have a milky sap, it helps to let the end heal before planting. I don't know if that is in the rule book, but it worked for me. LOL!

Pocola, OK(Zone 7a)

Thanks, Brugie! Looks like I'll have several cuttings to play with.

Chariton, IA(Zone 5b)

I hope you have good luck. Mine haven't even started blooming this year. It has been too cold, I guess.

smithton, MO(Zone 5a)

i took some cuttings off of my yellow mandevilla...they dont look really good, been chilly here lately also...im hopeful since its gonna get back up in the 80's this week..if all else fails, ill try again in the greenhouse this winter..lol

cindy

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.