Kennebec potatoes

Bethelridge, KY(Zone 6a)

Just a few out of a five gallen bucket I dug today, french fries for supper. Yumm!

Thumbnail by Big_Red
Efland, NC(Zone 7a)

Yummy!

Mine are needing digging but can't get in the ground cus of all the rain we've been having from the storms. Sure hope I can get in there soon.

B_Red...DD and I have an annual ritual...dig some taters and run to the shoffice and start making a batch of french fries. Yumm! We sit and pig out, neither of us saying an intelligible word until they're gone!

Looking forward to that soon!

Bethelridge, KY(Zone 6a)

Shoe, that's exactly what we did tonight! That's what we had for supper, fries, fries and more fries! We bought a new deep fryer and it works great, probably have to double-check it tomorrow night! ;o)

So.App.Mtns., United States(Zone 5b)

Fine looking potatoes! My step-dad always grew Kennebecks here in NC because they keep well. They had a 2 car garage, and before they went south for the winter, and he'd pile them on some pallets in the garage and smother with fiberglas insulation. Always had edible potatoes when they came back in the spring.

Efland, NC(Zone 7a)

yep...those are good keepers, darius.

B_Red...I still cut my fries by hand (Buck knife) but would like to have a gizmo thingy that you put a potato in, pull down the handle, and out of the bottom comes the "fries". A friend of mine has one, must be 30 yrs old or more (and, of course, won't turn loose of it!).

If you come across one (or two!) in your travels be sure to pick it up...great for large crowds.

Louisville, KY

You all are making me hungry and I am not suppose to eat French Fried Potatoes. Maybe you can eat a few for me. LOL I'm sending along a few recipes for you. Enjoy!
Gary/Louisville

From Oprah's fav. recipes cookbook by Rosie (hmmm forgot her last name) the french fries are to die for! Simply mix a couple of egg whites with a tablespoon of your favorite seasoning (seasoned salt, plain salt, cajun seasoning, old bay seasoning, dried dill etc...) and toss withraw french fries. Spray a cookie sheet well with cooking spray.
Place potatoes on sheet. Spray well with cooking spray. Bake at about 375 degrees F and turn the fries every 15 min... should take 45 min to an hour depending on how big your fries are. They're wonderful! Very crispy... just like they're fried with out all of the fat. I feel very good about pigging out on these! Hey you gotta sometime!

Uncle Bill's Microwave Potato Chips #47195
by William (Uncle Bill) Anatooskin

These potato chips are very easy to make in the microwave. Also, they are healthier for you as they are not cooked in any oils. This method has intrigued so many people that have tasted them and then made them for themselves. The younger people just love them. — Nov 20, 2002
4 medium potatoes (russet, yellow gold, or red potatoes)
your choice spices or herbs (granulated garlic powder, seasoning salt, cayenne pepper, dried dill weed)

4 servings Change size or US/metric | 22 minutes 15 mins prep

Change to: servings US Metric
1. If potatoes are old, peel and slice thin, 1/16" in thickness, slicing across the potato.
2. If the potatoes are new or good skins, DO NOT PEEL, just scrub well, then slice them 1/16" in thickness, slicing across the potato.
3. Sprinkle with your choice of spices or herbs or just leave them plain.
4. If you have a microwave bacon tray, place the sliced potatoes flat on the tray in a single layer.
5. Cover with a microwaveable, round heavy plastic cover.
6. Microwave on HIGH (full power) for 7 to 8 minutes.
7. Cooking time could vary slightly, depending on the wattage of your microwave.
8. You do not have to turn the sliced potatoes over.
9. If you do not have a bacon tray, use a microwave safe casserole dish.
10. Rub the inside of the dish with some olive oil for the first batch of potato chips.
11. I do not know why, but I find that if you do not rub oil the first time, some chips will tend to stick to the dish.
12. After the first batch is done, you do not have to rub the dish again.
13. Continue to microwave the remainder of sliced potatoes as noted above.

The Potato Recipe Collection
http://www.panix.com/~donwiss/potato/

Bethelridge, KY(Zone 6a)

Shoe, cut mine by hand also, I'll keep my eye out, we check out all the antique stores. Maybe I'll run across some.

BTW, glad to hear you came throught the storm o.k. I hope others are safe also, I guess it was a horror!

Efland, NC(Zone 7a)

We did just fine with the storm. Had a tornado 3 miles away but it never touched down...sure got our attention though! Rain and more rain here...hoping it says buh-bye soon.

Gary, thanks for those recipes! Bet my DD will luv trying the tater chips in the microwave! Will print those out and pass along! Much obliged!

Bethelridge, KY(Zone 6a)

Thanks Gary, I'll give them a try, we haven't tried home made chips in a long time!

Fritch, TX(Zone 6b)

Gary, will have to try these recipes with my all blue potatoes when I dig them up. When we had blue new taters, I sliced them thin and fried lightly with olive oil. The kids and I ate them before they had completely cooled because they were soooo good.

Big_Red, nice looking taters. My kennebecs have such good flavor, I will be rowing more next year.

Shoe or anyone, do you know if different varieites will cross? My allreds bloomed first, but the keenebecs bloomed right after, before the reds were doen. My red new potatoes were red all the wasy through (Crnaberry REds are supposed to be), but ones i dug up later were white and pink on the inside! Could crossing affect the tubers like that ??? How far to isolate?? If I find out anything, willl let you know. I planted red, white and blue this year, and want to do the same next year. Maybe just space the planting times out so they won't bloom together???

Tamara

Efland, NC(Zone 7a)

Naw...don't worry about it...they won't cross. The flowers have nothing to do with the spuds that are forming. Often-times potato plants won't flower at all but yet you will still gets spuds. The flowers will sometimes get pollinated and then produce seeds (little round green things that look like mini tomatoes) (do not eat them!). However, those seeds will not come true to the type of spud you are growing.

You can try germinating them but there will be no telling what you may get. I think there was another discussion about this some time back and somebody was gonna germ some seeds just for fun. Can't remember who that was.

All in all...plant away, any kind and every kind of tater. You're safe from crossing.

Fritch, TX(Zone 6b)

Shoe~
That is great, but now that means the seed company did not send me Cranberry Red. I didn't think they would cross either, but was trying to rationalize why the reds were pink inside. Yes, I remember the other thread, it was titled something like "Mutation on my Potatoes".
I will be planting away in spring, planning away for now...

~Tamara

Efland, NC(Zone 7a)

Hmmm...have never grown Cranberry Reds. Will have to read up on those.

Who was the supplier?

Fritch, TX(Zone 6b)

http://www.milkranch.com

THe reds are good, but blues are the best, I probably won't even share them with anyone ;-}

Efland, NC(Zone 7a)

Okay, thanks. (Looks like they don't offer the cranberry reds anymore. Was just curious about them.)

Fritch, TX(Zone 6b)

Shoe~They do, here is the direct link, they are commonly known as "all red" ... and they are good, and EARLY...
~Tamara

http://www.milkranch.com/Potato/GardenData.aspx?Var=AE

Efland, NC(Zone 7a)

Okay...thanks! (I was checking their lists for Cranberry. Sorry.)

Looks like a purty spud to me! I wonder if it is just normal for them to be red through-out when they are young then turning more white inside as they mature.

Fritch, TX(Zone 6b)

I was going to have some Kennebecs this weekend, but the customer I dug for wanted the culls too, which we would have eaten =-( They were still young with thin skins, too! But we did have some all-blues, thinly sliced and lightly browned in olive oil, yummmmmmmy!
Cheers for good homegrown potatoes everywhere!!!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.