Sterile strawberries???...

CREZIERES, France(Zone 8a)

I generate lots of excellent compost via a worm bin (two actually). All of our kitchen waste (plus a lot more) goes into the bin. Last year I found that large numbers of seedlings were emerging from the compost (when it was used). Of these, a great number I recognised as strawberry plants. (Most of the rest were weeds and grasses).

Bingo!, I thought. Free strawberries. So, foolishly, I coughed up £20 for three elegant strawberry pots - each of which would hold ~ 10 plants. Filling this with best compost, and planting with my healthy seedlings, I awaited a mountain of soft fruit.

Alas. Though my seedlings have grown to maturity and beyond, there wasn't a flower in sight, so no strawberries, and Mike's bank account £20 redder. Can any knowledgable person throw a light on this conundrum (other than that you shouldn't count your strawberries before they are ....)?

Here is a picture of the sorry items...

Thumbnail by cinemike
So.App.Mtns., United States(Zone 5b)

I'd wait for another year before discarding them. Sorry I have no strawberry suggestions... my grandfather grew them in a large field but I can't remember if they fruited on new plants or 2 year olds.

Thanks - will do.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.