my winter squash placed 2nd at fair!

Cookeville, TN(Zone 7a)

I am so excited, it was the first time I planted butternut squash. Just planted way too much, I have enough to last me well over the winter.

Louisville, KY

That is just great! Good to know that this is your fisrt time growing Butternut and winning Award for 2nd Place! Just think what you might be able to accomplish next season.
Gary/Louisville

Acton, TN(Zone 7a)

Congrats! Did you have any problems with squash bugs or squash vine borers? We've been using Pyola (pyrithrin / canola oil)), Dipel (BT) & Diatomaceous Earth which has helped with the squash bugs but we still have lots of vine borers . . . . Please let us know your secrets! Joz.

This message was edited Sep 3, 2004 5:31 PM

Cookeville, TN(Zone 7a)

actually I didnt use anything on the plants and I had no vine borers, alll I did was plant the seed in a container then transplanted them to the garden and watered them, made sure there was no weeds, but thats about all I did, I had both summer and winter squash, my fiance liked squash so I planted it, So I was just plant it and see what it would do. After we had that really bad storm a month ago I believe they all started to die, but I already harvested them by that time.

Rutland , MA(Zone 5b)

congratulations - well done.

East Barre, VT(Zone 4a)

Hey that's really neat. I've always wanted to win for sunflowers, but there is always someone with a taller one. I love going to county fairs. It reminds me of how good things could be if we all just tuned out of the commercial world a little bit more.

Baker City, OR(Zone 5b)

Butternut is what I grow, it is the earliest maturing winter keeper squash I have found, and with a short season I need every warm day and frost free night I can get. Mine keep a year in a 54 degree basement.

Franklin, NC(Zone 6b)

Butternuts are great. I remember putting in a patch when I was a kid and we had way more than enough to last the winter. They have tough stems so squash borers aren't usually a problem.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.