At what point to I harvest black eyed susan seeds?

Griffin, GA

I have never done this before. How do I know when it is time to collect them? And once I collect them, how do I store them??
Thanks!

Thumbnail by hale628
Milo, IA(Zone 5a)

Wait until the petals are brown and dried up, some may even be gone off the seedhead. Collect the seedhead cone, put in a paper sack to finish drying. After they are dry, some of the seeds will fall out of the seedhead when you shake the bag. Then store seed in a dry place. Can be stored in reg. envelopes.

Belleville , IL(Zone 6b)

I usually wait until the cone dries on the plant. Then I cut or tear the cone in half. You can see all these pencil lead looking seeds clinging near the base of the cone. It has a lot of tiny seeds in it. I sometimes just cut them in half and let the seeds fall out naturally eventually, or I stroke the cone until they fall loose from it. You may have a time separating the chaff, some always seems to get mixed in,.

Lamar, AR(Zone 7a)

Those flowers are very pretty. Does anyone have seeds that I could trade or SASE for?

Millersburg, PA(Zone 6b)

When I dry the cones for Gloriosa daisys/brown eyed susans, I get a lot of little hair-like structures, black on one end and brown on the other. I also get some black seeds about half the lenght of the little hair things. I always just took a handful of the whole works and planted it and got a good number of plants. If I want to save some for trading, how do I seperate the tiny half-length seeds from the hairs? ( I'm talking about a small cake pan 1/2 full of this stuff.) Are the hair like things seeds?

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.