Rooting scupernong grapevine

Summerville, SC

DH brought home a cutting of FIL's grapevine with the best grapes ever. How does it need to be rooted? Thanks , Sandy

Atascadero, CA(Zone 8a)

Bumping this one up..will try to help, sorry I didn't see it sooner...Softwood cuttings (from close-noded, thinner current year growth, taken from late spring to midsummer) root more quickly. Cut just below a node. Remove leaves on bottom node. Not familiar with this variety of grapes, but if it is large leaved, reduce any foliage by up to one half. Apply rooting hormone. Insert into rooting media to above first node. Rooting takes about 4 weeks. Keep watered well. Harden new growth before winter. I have not tried this method, but you'll probably do fine with it, if you haven't already stuck them in the ground, or given up...I do hardwood cuttings at pruning time in winter and bury them to root...another method. I read a little about this grape and if memory serves me...isn't it the state grape of your state...or another one?? Sounds delicious!!

Summerville, SC

jc, thanks for responding to my post. While I've been waiting to hear back from someone, I just stuck them in water with a bubbler. So far, nothing but they haven't died yet. I think I'll get some more and do like you said. They are a sweet grape, round, bronze skin. We just eat them although they do have seeds. We like them to plant on our chainlink fence because they cover the metallic look and when we go outside to garden, we just stand around the fence eating grapes. ymmmmmmmmy! (although this year they haven't been too abundant...too much rain, I guess) Sandra

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.