asiatic 'tinos'

Springfield, MA(Zone 6a)

well i'm slow on getting my pictures here onto the forum, but i'll get them all here eventually.............:-)
brenda, these are the tinos you were wanting to see. i had purchased 10 14-16cm bulbs and put them into a large terra cotta pot. made up a nice potting mix for them, that worked really well.
these were the first blooms they started around july 19th blooming and the last blossom departed on the 8th of august. a nice long show, for such young bulbs. they even went through some really hot, humid weather here too. i had them by a north facing wall, near my garage that got about 2-3 hours of direct afternoon sun a day.

debi z and franklin p.

Thumbnail by debi_z
Springfield, MA(Zone 6a)

well 9 out of the 10 blossoms were 'tinos' the 10th was a dark pink with darker pink splotches. here is the picture.

Thumbnail by debi_z
Lenexa, KS(Zone 6a)

Debi that Tinos pot is WONDERFUL!!! That's what I was hoping for this year, but with only 2 bulbs I didn't get quite the show you have there! Mine also was lacking the deepness of the red in the center - I'm hoping next year's blooms are MUCH better.

That poor lone pink marble one is really unusual!!! I don't think I've EVER seen a lily look like that! Wonder if it's some genetic defect of a Tinos bulb?

Lincoln, NE(Zone 5b)

I have never seen a mottled lily before. Kinda cool!

Lenexa, KS(Zone 6a)

Yeah...they should sell those, but something tells me they probably toss them out as a "bad" cross. Too bad!

Debi you might be able to make a fortune if you propagate that lily and introduce a whole new trend in lilies!!!

Little Falls, MN(Zone 4a)

The mottled pink one is really cool!! My tino's didn't get as dark a red eye this year as last. Think because it wasn't in as much sun.

Lenexa, KS(Zone 6a)

You think that's the cause of the lack of red, Anita? I did plant mine where it happens to get some afternoon shade....hmmmmm. Maybe I ought to move them.

Mirpur (A.K), Pakistan(Zone 9b)

Dar pink one is the most beautiful color, when liliy bulbils will ready for trade?

Springfield, MA(Zone 6a)

muhammad, the lilies are now starting the process of storing energy for next year and then they die back. i won't be able to dig any bulbettes for at least a month, maybe more.
debi z

Cedar Key, FL(Zone 9a)

Hey those are GORGEOUS

Brenda, I'm not really sure why? They're in the same place as last year but we had such a cold, wet spring and summer...could be a variable of many things I guess...I was disappointed in them this year though....but all the other lilies around them performed as they usually do and were in their correct colors?? Who knows why?? Alas another of nature's mysteries.

Pleasant Grove, UT(Zone 6a)

Beautiful pictures, debi z and franklin p! I know next to nothing about lilies and am wondering what "tinos" are?

Lincoln, NE(Zone 5b)

'Tinos' is the name of the asiatic lily pictured at the top of this thread.
A new addiction in the making, Claire? ;)

New addiction? I think so! Either that or I've fallen in love with a flower! LOL

Lenexa, KS(Zone 6a)

Claire - you're in trouble now! LOL!. (actually I like lilies more than daylilies)

Had to say that in a whisper so Wanda or Melissa won't hear me. Wanda frequents this forum too so I'm probably busted!

Springfield, MA(Zone 6a)

i'll shout it from the roof tops. I like liliums better!!!!!!!!!!!!!! hear ye hear ye! so does brenda!!!!! ooops did you want to be quiet about this brenda? snicker snicker you see though that they are coming here and talking lilies and buying lilies at the fall bulb co-op too. they'll be coming out of the closet about there preference for lilies over daylilies, just like you have brenda. :-D
lilies rule!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
debi z aka ms. lilium and my little bulbett franklin

I've heard (read) several people say that they loved lilies more than DL, and wondered what their problem was! LOL Now I know! I saw the oriental lilies I gave my mil bloom for the first time this year and decided I'd be taking a few of them back when I help her move them this fall. What was I thinking when I gave them ALL away??

Those Tinos are beautiful and I'll be adding them to my new lilium want list.

Lincoln, NE(Zone 5b)

Not that I was ever "in the closet", I do love lilies best! LOL The fragrance of the Orientals is just intoxicating. However, you get such a long bloom time with daylilies. I still wonder though, how a 'strongly fragrant' DL even compares to a lily.

Ditto to all of the above!! How could anyone love DL's more?? If you leave for a day you never get to see them bloom! These last forever....'ra ra ra...liliums rock!!'

Springfield, MA(Zone 6a)

clarise, i put 10 in a pot, well i thought they were 10 tinos, but i got 1 surprise and they had the longest bloom period for there first year and 14/16 cm bulbs. i was pleasantly surprised by that. i didn't mark the dates, but i would say from first to last bloom was a good 4-5 weeks. i'm debating wether i should keep them in the same pot and amend some of the soil this fall, before they go to bed for the winter, or to put them in the ground. i might leave them in the pot, just to see how they will do.

fellow lilium lovers.....i think we need to get us some cheerleading outfits. the sweater has to have a BIG L on the front for LILIUM of course. :-D what colors do you think?
debi z and my little bulbette franklin

I'm thinking of putting any lily bulbs I get this fall in a pot, because I'm not sure where else I'd put them right now. How big is the pot with the 10 bulbs? And do the bulbs multiply each year?

As for cheerleader colors, they need to scream lilium, so how about hot pink skirts with the inside of the pleats yellow, then white sweaters with hot pink and yellow stripes on the sleeves, yellow "L" outlined in hot pink on front of sweater. Whew! I think anyone looking at the outfit would need really dark sunglasses! LOL

Lincoln, NE(Zone 5b)

Oh, ya! That would definitely be...uh...hot!

Moby, YOU would definitely be hot in this outfit! LOL

Lincoln, NE(Zone 5b)

LOL, Claire!!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.